Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP Lsass.exe password error + OEM

• Please log in to reply

paulcraigen

paulcraigen

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok, I know there have been lots of posts about this but would really appreciate some simple answers!

What the problem is:
I encountered the nasty blue screen and could not boot into windows. safe mode, last known good setup etc... all did not work.

so, i followed some advice from a forum about going into the recovery programme and copying across some files, repairing them, deleteing the damaged ones etc... this seemed to work ok until on re-boot the "lsass.exe" error about a password change appeared. i have since read some stuff about problems with OEM installed XP changing user accounts and passwords if you mess around with these files... bit late now!

What i would like to know is:
With the Lsass.exe password error i now have, and i can't get back into the recovery programme, is there any way i can retrieve the password or reset it? i read other people have had lasting problems with this - my password should be blank and i didn't change it so somewhere in a root file it has changed?

if i can't do anything other than a re-install of XP, will i lose the files in my docs/settings?

if i will lose the files, what is the best way to retrieve them before i re-install XP? someone suggested a hard drive enclosure with USB connector so that i can access the files from another computer and then re-install windows on it?

will a re-install of windows get rid of all my problems??!

i would really appreciate it if anyone can help with this.

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts

With the Lsass.exe password error i now have, and i can't get back into the recovery programme, is there any way i can retrieve the password or reset it? i read other people have had lasting problems with this - my password should be blank and i didn't change it so somewhere in a root file it has changed?

This is a question we can't answer - We at Geeks to Go! are unable to assist with bypassing security measures, even if they appear to be faulty.

so, i followed some advice from a forum about going into the recovery programme and copying across some files, repairing them, deleteing the damaged ones etc...

Can you give us a link to the instructions you followed, and did you follow them to the T? What bluescreen were you getting?

What is the exact lsass error message you are getting? It may be fixable.
Why can't you get into the Recovery Console? Are you getting any errors or just missing the password?

Edited by The Admiral, 17 September 2008 - 07:01 AM.

paulcraigen

paulcraigen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks for the reply. please excuse my idiocy in re-tracing myself and try not to to "tut"!

the original blue screen error was something like "C0000218" and then a physical memory dump was performed. A re-boot took me into the black option screen offering re-boot using safe mode, last known good profile, login as normal. all of the paths led me back to the blue screen. rather like groundhog day.

so, I tried doing this:

"At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following lines, pressing ENTER after you type each line:

md tmp
copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default"

after re-boot I now get the "lsass.exe" error which says something like the password has been changed or does not match the user records. I realise I've got myself into this mess by not checking the OEM installation (which my system is) and I have later discovered this should not be performed on an OEM installed system... i can't get into the recovery console because the administrator password (that was blank when i first went into the recovery console) has changed - which also seems to be the cause of the "lsass.exe" error. I have since read something on Microsoft about hive files changing user accounts and therefore passwords don't match, therefore i shouldn't have done the above, or something equally as baffling to me.

i figure the mess i am in now is much worse than the original mess i was in with the bluescreen (which in hindsight is when i should have sought some expert advice!). if there is any way of avoiding a re-installation that would be great.

if it's not retrievable then advice on how to resuce the data from my hard-disc would be helpful too - i.e. will it wipe my docs if i do have to re-install XP? should i use a hard-disk enclosure to plug it into my laptop to retrieve the data first?

i got myself out of the frying pan and into the fire and right now just getting back into the frying pan again with a few burns would be better than losing a load of wedding photos from over the summer (boy, i am going to be in trouble)!

kazuha

kazuha

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, paulcraigen,

I'm not sure if you've solved the problem or not...

But anyways, I had the exact same thing happen to me on my Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop running Windows XP SP2.

After installing SP3, I restarted but encountered the C0000218 "cannot load hive" error (in my case it was a missing System file).

I used a Ubuntu live cd to copy all my files off of the laptop and followed the same procedure as you to fix that error, but then the lsass.exe error popped up and would not load the OS or let me log into the Recovery Console.

I followed the one of this post:

I had this problem and managed to fix it without a reinstall.
Create the disc at www.ubcd4win.com on a good pc and boot off of it on the bad one. Once in go to Start, Programs, Registry Tools, Registry Restore Wizard. Tell it where Windows is installed (C:\Windows usually). Then pick the date that you want to roll back to. I chose the one closest to todays date and it recovered it fine. Reboot and bingo! It's back. (Well it was for me...!)
Hope this helps someone!

(from http://www.askdaveta....t_windows.html)

On a different computer, I
1) downloaded and installed UBCD4Win
2) built an .iso file using a Windows XP SP2 integrated disc

Then on the messed up laptop, I
1) booted from the UBCD4Win disc
2) selected the Registry Restore Wizard
3) chose the date before installing SP3 (the last date it was working)

Now, Windows starts up and I'm able to log in. Just fixed the problem, so haven't had time to do any extensive testing to see if anything else has been messed up... So far, I've only restarted a 2nd time (just to make sure it wasn't some fluke), played a video, and a quick look shows that my original fils are still on and working.

Hope this helps you (or anybody in a similar situation) :)

Edited by kazuha, 27 September 2008 - 05:02 PM.

paulcraigen

paulcraigen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the reply - in the end I bought a hard drive enclosure to get my files off the hard drive and then did a re-install. Waste of a day but fixed the problem and have a much faster computer now!

Thanks for your help though.