Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Died Data Recovery Help >.<

• Please log in to reply

Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I always keep a backup but some of my files that got finished right before Windows Died were not backed up and i also cannot get onto my backup drive Because of this error "Cannot Mount Volume" Details says its in use or w/e and that i can force it at my own risk. So how can i get back onto both of my drives? Is there a high chance i will screw my drives by forcing them; Would it be better to put my external backup drive on a diff windows pc first and would that fix it on the dead Windows PC? Any help is greatly appreciated and tyvm in advance ^^ I found this guide http://www.howtogeek....dows-computer/

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Unmountable volumes can be tricky. Typically an unmountable volume in Windows will be unmountable in all other OSes.

My recommendation is running chkdsk via a Bart's PE or from the MS recovery console. If you need further instructions on this, feel free to ask.