Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Build - Music Computer

• Please log in to reply

kill_hXc

kill_hXc

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Hi,

I've looked through the forums and can't seem to find anything specific to my needs, so I'm posting a new topic.

I recently came into some money and am now going to start building my own home recording studio. It's not intended to be the next Abbey Road, just somewhere I can sit, plug in my guitar (bass/drum kit etc.) and lay some tracks down.

I also intend to do some electronic production and mixing etc.

I want to build it from scratch so that I know in the future, as I build the studio up, EXACTLY what stuff I have.

I've done some minor upgrades in the past (RAM, DVD-R Drive etc) and I'm fairly confident as to my ability to do the physical part of actually putting the machine together, it's just that when it comes to knowing exactly what components to add; best sound card, processor, motherboard etc; I'm a bit wet behind the ears.

I think to start with I'd need about 2GB and I've heard that an Intel processor would be better for my needs (if you think differently, don't hesitate to tell me)...obviously need a superquick soundcard but I really don't know.

I also intend for it to be a music specific PC (no internet/Office/games etc) and to upgrade a pile of crap Dell PC that I have so that I can use that for all the everyday computer stuff. So perhaps it would be nice to be able to have two
screens which I could either double up and have one big screen for recording and having different programs open etc. whilst also being able to split the screens in two and have one PC running in either one.

I've never posted on this build forum before, but have posted elsewhere on the site, and am usually so pleased with the intelligent, considerate feedback I recieve, so don't let me down this time!

Can anyone help?

Tom.

p.s. budget isn't really a big issue

Edited by kill_hXc, 21 September 2008 - 03:05 PM.

Advertisements