Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Computer noob with a new build.

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello everyone, I have decided to build my own computer, which is what brings me here. Right now I have an HP laptop that I would like to use mainly for school. I am trying to build a computer for mild gaming and photo-editing. That being said, here is what I have gathered off of newegg so far, with a subtotal of $1,098.89. I am fine with this price and I can bring it down a little by looking around some more, so that's all good. Does anyone see any compatibility issues or anything that I can change for the better? I have never built a computer before, so anything helpfull will be greatly appreciated.

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Antec NeoPower 650 Blue 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400 - Retail

ASUS P5Q SE LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
-Is the Realtek ALC1200 audio chipset worth using on this card or should I go ahead and buy a seperate card? I use a Logitech Z-5500 Digital speaker system.

ZOTAC ZT-88TES3P-FCP GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

OCZ Reaper HPC 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1200 (PC2 9600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2RPR12002GK - Retail

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

ASUS Black IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model DVD-E818A3 BULK - OEM

Logitech UltraX Silver/Black USB Standard Media Keyboard - OEM (already have a mouse)

Microsoft Windows XP Home With SP2B for System Builders 1 Pack - OEM

Acer X193W+BD Black 19" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail

Thanks for your help!

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It will certainly work quite well, the Realtek chipset should be fine but its up to you, I have never had a problem with it but some people like the extra quality a sound card adds.

Also you might want to switch up to the 640gb version of the hard drive its faster and larger. I don't think you need the DDR1200 memory, some slightly slower stuff at PC8500 or just PC6400 would just do well.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks Warriorscot!