Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Did I just ruin my mobo and chip?

• Please log in to reply

KelJu

KelJu

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have an Athlon X2 4600+. I have had over heating issues the entire time I have had this chip. I bought an aftermarket foxcon cpu heatsink and fan which worked for a while, but heat issues started causing reboots again. I bought a ZALMAN CNPS9700 - http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835118019 - and installed it last night. When I turned my computer on, the fan started for 1 second then the computer powered off.

Seems like to me I either fried my chip or my motherboard. I took the new cpu fan off, and reinstalled my old foxcon. I still have the problem. When I press the power button, the computer starts for 1 second then powers off.

I reseated the chip twice, and I tried to clear my CMOS, but I'm not sure if I did it right. There was a small red pin button on the motherboard that I assumed was the CMOS reset.

Also the new ZALMAN CPU fan I bought comes with the 939 mounting brackets which can only be turned 2 ways. Both ways are in the wrong direction. I need the fan to point to the back of my computer so it can vent. Right now I have the option of having it point directly into my power supply or directly against my video card fan trying to vent.

Should I just send the ZALMAN back and get one that vent to the side of my case where the air vent hole is?

Help!!!

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
actually I've seen a power supply/power source issue cause that.... Possibly a short or something pulling the voltage down so low the psu shuts off...

KelJu

KelJu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

actually I've seen a power supply/power source issue cause that.... Possibly a short or something pulling the voltage down so low the psu shuts off...

Thank you so much sir! After changing out processors, thermal paste, heat sinks, pulling video cards, pulling ram out, and almost buying a new mobo online, I tried switching out my power supply with one of my other computers and it fired right up. I guess I need to get a new power supply.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
On the power supply front you might want to check it out on another system, it may have been you were just drawing too much power and it wasn't able or you were trying to run too much of one power line try rearanging and spreading the power draw so don't have all your drives and fans on the one line of molex connectors. Also check the fuse on the thing and make sure there isn't anything sticking in or out of the PSU and there isn't any physical damage.