Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

3 sec power on/off

• Please log in to reply

emokilla

emokilla

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have an Alienware M5750 that i bought like two years ago. Im running XP with 2gb of ram and thats all i can produce without turning on my computer.

After I press the power button, the computer will start, the fans turn on, the HD starts reading. After about 3 seconds the computer will automatically shutdown, then reboot itself. It will do this until I disconnect all power from the computer. I cannot reach the BIOS or anything for that matter. Granted I may be the cause of this problem as i just as a few months ago returned from a deployment to iraq that was very rough on my computer. I have also had a few parties in which things have been spilled on it and i have not been told until 2 weeks later

So any thoughts on what the problem is and any course of action to take to fix it? Im fairly computer literate so i should understand most instructions.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
if it is always 3 second it could be a stuck power switch... You could also check for shorts.... check the capacitors on the motherboard for bulging/leaking... unplug everything but the motherboard to see if you get the same results... try reseating everything....