Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Windows XP never finishes loading HELP PLEASE!

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi all,
I am having a problem with my computer, which was working correctly before.

I turn it up and seems to be starting correctly and it even gets to the point where I chose my user to log into windows and then it just shows the desktop without any icons nor the start button......and after that sems to be stuck, i leave it like that for hours to see if at some point finished to load...but it doesn't do anything.

I haved tryed with the "F8" option and then chosing the "last good known configuration that worked correctly" or someting like that....but I get stuck into the same behavior.

When I choose SAFE MODE, the computer starts perfectly, so I don't know whats happening.

I will really appreciate if someone can help me with this issue.

thanks and regards

Edited by adrianchav, 17 September 2008 - 05:24 PM.

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hello O,o. What a nasty problem >.>
It's probably a faulty start-up program, or a messed up bootskin. Try starting it in safe mode, like you do, and disabling all optional startup programs. Click Start>Run. Once you get to the search bar type "msconfig" without the quotes. Click the startup tab which should be the second to last tab from the right. Unclick all optional ones, leaving only the presiquites, such as programs in the system32 folder. There should only be about 4 or 5 left checked. Leave "ps2" and "rundll32" checked. Now click apply and ok. Now restart your computer in normal mode.

If your problem is gone it's a faulty startup program most likely. We can go through your processes afterward to figure out which one it is.

If your problem persists it could be a messed up bootskin. Try this first though and post your results.

Good Luck :)