Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't drag and drop, won't power off, fan runs fast

• Please log in to reply

bentherat

bentherat

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
My computer, Dell Inspiron 1100 has been acting strange. I've ran Avast, Ad Aware, ATF Cleaner, Spybot, Malwarebytes, and have even done a System Restore, Disk cleanup and Defrag.

It won't power down by clicking on Start> Turnoff Computer. The fan runs fast. When I go to drag and drop a file, it won't do anything, I actually have to right click and copy then paste the file. I transferred a bunch of stuff to an external hard drive by dragging and dropping and on the external, only empty files showed up or sometimes the file with some contents missing.

Do you think my motherboard is acting up? Is there a check I can run to see if it is? I use my laptop for my business and don't want to get stuck without a computer for even a 24 hour window.

Advertisements