Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fresh XP Install wont boot

• Please log in to reply

Don B

Don B

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi Guys,

I'm Having a problem with a friends pc, basically the pc was able to load into windows but was very slow so I decided to back up all the documents etc and do a clean install. I booted from the xp cd and began the fresh install, I deleted the existing partitions then created a new one. I then formatted the drive using ntfs file system. Once that finished the pc then rebooted as normal, I get as far as the black xp screen loading and the machine just locks ups. I then decided to try a new hard disk as I thought it could be that, exactly the same thing happens, I have swapped the memory but again get no further than the black xp screen. I'm now thinking to myself it must be a faulty board but what I cant understand it was working fine before I attempted the reinstall.

Any ideas?

I also reset the cmos but that made no difference

Edited by Don B, 18 September 2008 - 02:19 AM.

Advertisements