Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building a media centre PC also for gaming

• Please log in to reply

KillerShark1978

KillerShark1978

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have already started and over the next few weeks am going to complete building my first computer system to replace my dying laptop. I will keep this topic updated as I purchase new parts in hope you guys can offer advise as I build my system.

The system is going to be used as a media centre, once complete I'm going to hook it up in my living room to use mainly to play music and films but also for High spec gaming.

I will also list the next item I plan to purchase so please if anyone in the know sees a problem with what I am buying or has a better recommendation please advise, thanks

NEXT STEP

Next will be the Heat sink for the CPU (plan to use the Q6600 processor), my current plan is to use the Thermalright 90 + Noctua or arctic PWM fan following advise on another topic

Spec of my Home Entertainment System to date:

PC (in progress part already purchased listed)
Case: Coolermaster Cosmos S Black Aluminium
Board: Asus P5N-E SLi nForce 650 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
GPU:
RAM:
PSU: 850W MODULAR SILENT POWER SUPPLY
CPU:
HEATSINK:
HARD DRIVE:

KEYBOARD (Yet to Buy)
Logitech diNovo Edge

MOUSE (Yet to Buy)
Logitech MX Revolution Cordless Laser 2000 dpi

TV (OWN) - (Note:- I do not intend to use a separate monitor for this system, instead its just going to use my TV as its display)
LG 42" Full HD 1080P Digital LCD TV with XD Engine Full HD image processor 42LF66

AMP (OWN)
Sony STR-DG520 5.1 Channel HiFi Receiver

PS3 (OWN)
40GB Version

SPEAKERS (OWN)
Pioneer SV410 Compact 5.1 Complete Speaker Set with Floorstanding Speakers

Edited by KillerShark1978, 18 September 2008 - 02:30 AM.

Advertisements

KillerShark1978

KillerShark1978

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I now have the Q6600 CPU, This week I plan to buy the RAM, I'm looking for 4GB @ 800MHz, does anyone have a good recommendation of a specific type to get that would suit this set up, thanks (this is one area that I'm particularly confused on, I don’t really understand the different timings and voltages etc, so I don’t know if one type is better than another, any help would be appreciated , thanks again.

Edited by KillerShark1978, 01 October 2008 - 02:10 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

A 4GB kit would best suit you in a 2x 2GB configuration. I agree that 800MHz is the sweet spot that would suit your needs.

This G.SKILL looks to be a great kit for you.

Cheers

Troy