Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Plug n Play

• Please log in to reply

sharp cheddar

sharp cheddar

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My plug and play devices worked a couple weeks ago and now when I power on my computer and all the the devices that I have pluged into the usb ports are not working. I unplug them and plug then into a diffrent port but still get nothing.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You should read this article on P-n-P.

http://www.dansdata.com/sbs2.htm

SRX660

sharp cheddar

sharp cheddar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
i am not sure if it is plug and play or my usb ports that are not working because when i plug anything into the ports nothing happens

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Check in your BIOS to see if USB is enabled first.

Second, look in device manager to see if you have USB there.

Not even a single port is working? It has got to be they are disabled.

SRX660

sharp cheddar

sharp cheddar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I tried all of the usb ports i have four in the front and two in the back and they are all attached to the mother board.
I plug my phone into the usb port and it charges my phone....but it does nothing eles.
I checked my bios and the usb is enabled.
I went into my device manager and unistalled the usb drivers and then restarted my computer to let xp find the devices, and they all came back no problems.
I even updated my bios my computer is up to date, i just installed sp3.
I am punching myself in the face trying to find out what is wrong!!!
anything that could help me figure this out would make me a happy man again.

Edited by sharp cheddar, 22 September 2008 - 06:37 AM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
In the Device Manager > Universal Serial Bus Controllers > USB Root Hub > Power Management, Uncheck the box that says "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

You might see if updating your BIOS may fix the problem also.

Install A USB PCI card and see if the USB on it will work. If you have had a power surge hit your computer it may have fried the USB circuits on your motherboard. That is the reason i suggest the PCI card.

Other forums on the internet talk about XP SP2 causing H-P computers to lose their USB ports. Uninstalling SP2 usually fixed the problem.

There can be conflicts after installing sp2. In Disk Manager the usb drive was listed on the F drive and was accessable from their. In My Computer the F drive was a network connection to the desktop. Changing the drive leter in Disk Manager for the usb drive made it accessible in My Computer and allowed to open automatically like it is suppossed to.

SRX660