Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new motherboard and windows xp.

• Please log in to reply

ewanB

ewanB

• Pip
  • 6 posts
hello,
I've bought a new motherboard and i want to make sure i know exactly what I'm doing before i start installing it. my computer didn't come with a windows xp install disk (or i386 folder [bleep] it!)
Some guides say i can install it without reinstalling windows; others say i will have to. i can use magical jellybean keyfinder to find my windows something-or-other key.
Is it necessary to reinstall xp, if so can i do it with a friends installation disk, what keys/codes will i need?

cheers!

(should this post have been in the hardware section? i don't know.)

edit: it bleeped out the mildest swear i know!

Edited by ewanB, 18 September 2008 - 01:22 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You'll need a Windows Repair using the same version of Windows that's already on the computer. So if you have XP Home, you need an XP Home OEM CD. Using an XP Pro CD on an XP Home system will just give you an option to wipe it.

ewanB

ewanB

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
so i don't need any CD keys or anything like that?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
The CD key should be stuck on the side/back/top of the computer if you have a branded computer (ie Compaq, HP, eMachines, etc). You will need it.

Edited by Neil Jones, 20 September 2008 - 02:21 PM.

ewanB

ewanB

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
no, i don't have anything on the side of my computer.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Okay so the next question needs to be where did you obtain this computer and that copy of XP?

ewanB

ewanB

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
the copy of xp - my mum got it cheap from her work.
the computer - a small computer shop, i doubt it's still there.
why i don't have the disk - i don't know, l can only guess that it was left at the shop.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Okay if it didn't come with an XP CD or an XP Licence then the only thing I can suggest is take the hard drive out, connect it to another computer, back up anything important, then buy a new XP licence with CD, or alternatively Microsoft can supply you with a new licence. Either way you may still have to wipe the machine.

It would appear you don't have a genuine copy of Windows XP but are using what's called a pirated or cracked copy. You may not be aware you were using a non-genuine copy of XP. We cannot support non-genuine copies of Windows.