Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

<windowsroot>\systems32\ntoskvnl.exe corrupt missing

• Please log in to reply

kvozzy

kvozzy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi and thank for taking the time and reading this. I have been all over the internet trying to find a solution to this <windowsroot>\systems32\ntoskvnl.exe corrupt missing problem. I just recently ran updates on my computer and re booted my computer. After doing so I received this error message with a black screen. I have selected every option on that screen to boot windows up but keeps returning to that screen. My computer is a HP Pavillion A1130n and I'm running Windows XP Media Center ed 2005. I have a XP Pro cd but no factor cd that came with the computer. I have many Family pictures on this computer that I dont want to lose. So I am very scared to really do anything to jeopardize me losing these files. I have called HP but its my lucky day that my warranty has expired . Is there anyone out there that can help me? I would greatly appreciate any feedback. Again, Thank you for your time..

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to repair the problem by using Recovery Console. Use your XP pro CD.

To get to Recovery Console insert the disk into the CD drive and reboot the computer. Windows Setup screen will show up. If it doesn't, enter BIOS and set the CD drive to be first priority boot device.

Let Setup run until three setup options are shown. Choose Recovery Console by pressing R. When asked for XP installation, type 1 (assuming you have only one operating system installed). When asked for password type your password or press Enter if you don't have a password. A black DOS-like screen will show up.

At the prompt type: copy d:\I386\Driver.cab c:\system32\ntoskrnl.exe /v

Press Enter

Type Exit and press Enter to reboot to Windows.

Note: d is the drive letter in which the CD is placed.