Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Flashing a BIOS

• Please log in to reply

P.T_Platinum

P.T_Platinum

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I want to flash my bios and update it since im having problems with my pc freezing on the pci device listing.
i have the bios for it which is revision 2.1,F5
http://tw.giga-byte....?ProductID=2744

What else do i need to flash it?I have a floppy drive which im going to install on it temporary.
Im running XP home SP2.
If you can direct me to the exact files i need that would be great because i have never done this before.

Or are the above files all i need.Since im probably going to boot block and flash it then.

Edited by P.T_Platinum, 18 September 2008 - 10:46 PM.

Advertisements

P.T_Platinum

P.T_Platinum

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
If anyone would help thats would be great since im stuck without a pc for a month now.I returned the mobo saying that it was broken(probably corrupt bios)
They said they looked at it and it was fine.Which it wasnt.I will have to rely on myself for this one

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Just follow the flashing instructions from the board manufacturer, the motherboard flashing instructions are specific to every board and every manufacturer provides specific instructions for each motherboard. If you don't have the actual manual download it from Gigabyte, once you look in the manual it should be clear and yes those files that link goes to look to be the Bios codes.

P.T_Platinum

P.T_Platinum

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
So basically all i need are these files to be abe to flash.i thought you needed some extra files to go with it.
Its only 3 files

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You usually only need the one file(or are you talking about the contents of the file you get from gigabyte in which case there may be more files in that one downloaded archive) in your case either the F5 or F6a Bios just download the archive from that website and follow the flashing instructions. If it is a problem with Bios then it should fix it, also make sure you have the optimised defaults loaded before you try anything to make sure that the PCI devices just aren't disabled for power saving or anything like that.

Also you say it is freezing, is this freezing on boot or on windows load? If its windows load try reinstalling or try a linux OS on the system either will determine whether it is a hardware or software fault.

Edited by warriorscot, 19 September 2008 - 06:22 AM.

P.T_Platinum

P.T_Platinum

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
yeah the extractor extracts 3 files, an autoexec, a FLASH, and the .F5 file.
Its a brand new board FYI but i will try the load optimize def anyway.
Also the freezing occures randomly if i try to enter bios,during post etc and it only happens when i press a key on my keyboard.If im lucky enough i can go through a bit without it freezing.
And it hangs at the pci device listing so it wont load into windows at all

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Is this a new computer?
Is it still under warranty?

A bios update is only required if it is recommended to fix a problem in the bios. Do you know for sure that this update will fix your problem?

I suspect that you have other problems like a hardware issue.