Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building a gaming rig?

• Please log in to reply

THOF

THOF

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I would like to build a gaming rig but I have no idea even where to start.
I find trying to pick and choose between all the diff motherboards, video cards, cases and memory confusing.
What would you all recomend for a gaming machine? I have about an $1800 budget for the machine and O/S.
I would like to be able to play all the new games that are out and coming out like Crysis, Warhammer, WoW Linch King expansion and Call of Duty Modern Warfare and World at War at high or deasent setings

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you don't know what you want I would start off by reading some magazines and websites for yourself to get an idea what is involved and where different parts stand.

Tomshardware and HardOCP are good hardware websites and good mags are local in the UK I like CustomPC and PCFormat.

In terms of the system, quad or dual core CPU from intel, 4Gb of ddr2 ram, P45 motherboard, ATI 4850 graphics and a decent hard drive in an Antec case and PSU is a good first computer. Look at some of the sites and mags and look for stuff that fits in the above description and see if it fits in your budget and expectations.

I could give you an itemised list but if you want to build it yourself its important to have a good understanding of the parts and how they work and go together, maybe dig out a couple of building guides just look with google you'll catch some. A little research time pays dividends when you go to build and are looking for the best prices.

Do some reading and get back to us with any questions or a system you want some feedback on.