Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

An error occurred while loading http.........

• Please log in to reply

driley

driley

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I installed Kubuntu 8041 in an old laptop I have (compaq armada e500) and was able to successfully install my verizon wireless air card (usb 720) and connect to the internet. When I attempt to open a website such as yahoo.com or google.com or ebay, I get the following: an error occurred while loading http etc followed by: could not connect to host http. Yet I was able to download updates no problem. Can anyone help me solve this? Thanks

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Can you ping google.com?

driley

driley

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Titan8990, Thank you for your reply. I would like to try to ping google but do not have the skills yet to know how to do that. If you would explain to me how I would be most appreciative. Thank you.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Open up the terminal. Not sure exactly where it is in KDE but if you have trouble finding it your can use CTRL+ALT+F2 and log in the tty there.

To ping google:

ping google.com

CTRL+C stops the ping. If you don't get a response after about 30secs then CTRL+C to stop. In Linux ping will run forever until you tell it to stop.

Issue that command at the terminal prompt.

Also, in your next repy post the output of:

sudo ifconifg

An easy way to get it to post w/o connectivity is to send the output to a file:

sudo ifconfig > ifconfig.txt

This will put the output in a file called ifconfig.txt in your home folder (or your current working directory). To show your working directory issue the command:

pwd

You can put ifconfig.txt onto a thumb drive and post the contents that way.

Edited by Titan8990, 20 September 2008 - 03:45 PM.

driley

driley

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
titan8990, Thanks for suggestions. When I went into terminal and entered ping google.com the result was 18 transmitted 18 received 0% packet loss. When I entered sudo ipconfig it said: command not found. Tried again with just ipconfig, same result. Tried again as sudo ipconfig, result: command not found. Help.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
The command is:

ifconfig

not:

ipconfig

ipconfig is the Windows utility. Ifconfig (stands for interface) is the Linux version.

driley

driley

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:d0:59:4a:c2:8f
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

Edited by driley, 23 September 2008 - 03:59 PM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
It looks like you are not getting an IP address from your DHCP server. Is your computer connected to a router?

Post the output of the following:

cat /etc/network/interfaces

Edit: Just remembered we are talking about wireless. What method did you use for installing your wireless drivers? ndiswrapper?

Edited by Titan8990, 24 September 2008 - 10:37 AM.

driley

driley

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
titan8990, I don't understand this but when I went to install and uninstall and installed firefox web browser 2.0 I can now connect to any website of my choice. No problems ??????? This fixed the problem but being new to this os I don't understand why. Do You?

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I'm guessing a reboot has occurred? It could just be a bug with FF3 and Hardy as I have had a few of my own issues with that combination.