Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

What needs updating on my computer?

• Please log in to reply

Feweh

Feweh

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello hello,

For years now i've been trapped with a low end PC that can only runs basic games on minium specs.

The games that i can run are Counter-Strike Half Life 2 etc, games in that era or as far as that gets. Even then it shutters at peaks of huge enemies or huge animations happening.

My computer is i believe from 2003-2004 i think. (Check dxdiag)

Anyways, everything is low end, and integrated, the sound card is a ATI Radeon 200 Express some crap like that, the memory i think is 250 which isnt bad.. the ram is 1000 i think.. Aswell i have problems with my dam Soundcard... it sends ridiculous feedback to my headphones from my microphone which is un-fixable. (Please note my headphones/mic is not broken).

So i'm working now and have about 500$ to spare. I went to best buy saw Ge-Force 8800 for 200$ which i think i'll pick up, then i figured [bleep] you know might aswell ask on here what else needs upgrading. I think i need more Ram always... my computer is really slow when opening programs... any programs and i only have AVG as a virus thingy and steam and msn as start up.

So ya, PLEASE PLEASE! Help me out! What should i get and the price etc. And can it even be fitted into this computer etc. I definetly want a new Video Card probably new ram and i guess a cheap soundcard... i cant think of anything else but i need prices etc and info.

Thanks a bundle !!!
(see attachment for dxdiag).

Attached Files

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Don't buy from Best Buy for a start its not a good shop for anything but any actual shop is not the best place to buy parts, go to Newegg or Tigerdirect online and get it from them it will be cheaper and easier to handle any issues if you have them.

You couldn't get a readout from PCwizard, DxDiag isn't the best, also what are you using as a monitor the file says you are using a TV at 480p resolution.

The computer is getting on a bit, to be honest I would be a little reluctant to upgrade and would probably advise saving up for a new system as trying to upgrade a system of that age might have problems with the amount of power the PSU can deliver and the motherboard. Do you have a free PCI-E x16 slot or it it an AGP.

Feweh

Feweh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
K well, i'd really rather not buy a new computer... my house is to small for a new one i litterly have no room and my dad won't let me replace this current one only upgrade it.

I really just want it to play games like crysis and stuff, tired of having like 15 FPS on freaken WoW and crap. I check "Can you run it" and it always says everything passes but my video card...

so i attached two PC Wizard things, didn't know exactly what i was doing but i made two things one for hardware and other processor.

Hopefully that helps, see attachments!

Attached Files

Feweh

Feweh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Sorry to bump this... but i have another question..

What is the most latest video card and the newest video card out that my computer could handle?

Feweh

Feweh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Bump because i'm still un-answered after 4 days...

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi there,

Sorry for the delay. Do you have a HP A1420N Desktop PC? I've found these motherboard specifications here.

If this is your computer, you are able to install a PCI-Express graphics card (which is good). So you've got quite a few choices, depending on your budget.

First up, there's no point getting a killer graphics card, as the system is a few years old and wouldn't be able to make the most of it. A nice mid-range card is going to work wonders in that system.

Next up, there's no point upgrading the graphics if you don't have a quality PSU for that system. If you're still using the original PSU after all these years, please get rid of it (computer recyclers) and get a good one.

And for your sound card, have you tried updating to the latest drivers? If you haven't, give it a go first, and if it's still no good, then try a discrete sound card.

I would post a few examples, but I've just gone from off-peak time to on-peak time with my ADSL - and because I'm over the limit for the month, I just got throttled back to pretty much dial-up speed. :) (It's a good thing my ISP doesn't overcharge for using up the quota! :) )

Over and out.

Troy

Feweh

Feweh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I went to micro bytes today with it and they said my computer cant take any better video cards because its only 300 Watz or something.