Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ethernet controller driver missing for hp pavilion 742n

• Please log in to reply

mjackson2301

mjackson2301

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i recently reinstalled windows xp on a hp pavilion 742n. i'm missing the Ethernet controller driver for it. without it i can not get online. how can i fix it?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I can not find any Ethernet drivers on the H-P website.

While looking i did find this.

Nvida nForce MCP networking controller

http://www.network-d.../233/233206.htm

From The H-P website.

When networking hardware is not working correctly, Windows reports an error message in Device Manager. Use the following steps to view Device Manager information and troubleshoot the error message:

1. In Windows XP, click Start, right-click My Computer, and select Properties.
2. Click the Hardware tab, and then the Device Manager button.
3. If the Network adapters category is present with a (+) sign , then skip to Step 6.
If Network Adapters has a (-) sign, continue to Step 5. Disregard adapters that do not reference an Ethernet Adapter.

#
For desktop PCs with on-board networking hardware, reset the BIOS:

1. Restart the PC.
2. Press F1 repeatedly when the first screens appear.
3. Press F5 and Enter to reset the BIOS to default settings.
4. Press F10 and Enter to save the settings and exit BIOS setup .
5. Restart the PC.
6. Check Device Manager again for the presence of the Networks adapters category.
If the network adapter name is still missing, the on-board network adapter may be damaged. The motherboard should be replaced, or a PCI network adapter should be installed.

If the network adapter is listed, but has a yellow exclamation mark over its icon , do one of the following:
Software drivers and supportive files may be missing or corrupted. Remove the device from Device Manager and reinstall the software by restarting the computer. See Step 5: Reinstalling network adapter software drivers .
If the computer is older, it may need to have jumpers on the network card set to an IRQ and address range that is not already being used by another device. Remove the side-case, set the jumpers on the card, and replace the side case.
Replacing the older network card with a newer Plug and Play card is probably a better option.
If the network adapter listed has a green adapter icon , the networking adapter is probably functioning correctly. If the PC still cannot connect to the Internet, make sure to complete the following steps before continuing:
The cable or DSL hardware may have stopped responding. Reset the cable or DSL hardware using the manufacturer suggestions.
There still may be a connection problem. Recheck the cable connections and replace any cables that have been pinched or that you suspect are bad.
The Internet Service may be down at your provider. Most Service Providers have a telephone support number. Call the ISP support number. If an outage is occurring, an automated response about system wide service outages will probably play. In this case wait until the service comes back.
If the network adapter icon is listed without problems, and the connections, service, and modem are working properly, continue with the next step to refresh the networking drivers.

Step 5: Reinstalling network adapter software drivers
To make sure all software related to the networking adapter is properly installed and linked, reinstall the software drivers. Use the following steps to reinstall and relink software related to the network adapter:
NOTE: If your PC has an older network card that is not plug-and-play compliant, the network card software is probably on a separate disk. To download a network driver for your HP PC go to HP's Software, Drivers, and Downloads Web page .

In Windows XP, click Start , right-click My Computer , and select Properties .
In Windows XP, click the Hardware tab, and then the Device Manager button.
Click the plus sign ( + ) next to Network Adapters, and select the name listed inside the Network Adapters category.
In Windows XP, click Action , and then Uninstall .
Click OK , and restart the PC.
6. If the network adapter is plug-and-play compatible, the software should automatically be installed. Follow any instructions that appear during the process and provide any software that Windows cannot find.
If you still cannot connect to the Internet after reinstalling the network drivers, continue to the next step.

And the rest is here.

http://h10025.www1.h...p;product=89232

SRX660