Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC powers up but no screen

• Please log in to reply

p914

p914

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Turned off the system last nite and this morning I power up and the green power light goes on but I don't get a red flash from the HD but the HD starts spinning and fans run a short beep at the start as normal but I get no screen at all or keyboard control. The keyboard lights flash once on powerup but the num lock and others won't light when I press them.
intel D915GVWB
P4
2gb Ram
XP home

Tried attaching a different monitor and keyboard to no avail.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Eddie
Green power light on front is on.

Edited by p914, 19 September 2008 - 12:05 PM.

Advertisements

p914

p914

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
New CMOS battery did the trick :)

p914

p914

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
well, temporarily.
Booted this morning and got a screen but no keyboard control. So i press the power button, shut down, press power again and no screen. power cycled and tried more but no results.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It's possible that your power supply unit is faulty and need to be replaces. Before you do that make sure that the main cable that connects the psu to the motherboard sits firmly in place.

Other things could cause this problem. If you have another psu (you can "borrow" one from another computer) try to install it first.

p914

p914

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks I'll try that. I did check the connection to the motherboard and reconnected. I replaced the power unit about 1-1/2 year ago. The power supply fan does comes on. Think that power supply would go out that soon?

p914

p914

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
tried a different power supply and no help.,
Any other ideas?
Thanks
Eddie

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to reset the BIOS. I guess you know how to do that but I wish to emphasize two points.

1: The power cable must be disconnected otherwise reset will not take place.

2: Leave the battery out for 15 minutes, not less. We want to discharge all the capacitors completely.

Can you boot into BIOS at all?

p914

p914

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi and thanks
I can't get into a bios screen at all. I tried taking the battery out and unplugging for about 25 minutes then tried to boot but no screen.

Anything else I can try?
Thanks
Eddie

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It could be that your video card is faulty. How many video ports do you have at the back of your computer? If you have two, one integrated with the motherboard the other an add-on card, remove the add-on card completely and connect to the integrated one. Reboot and see what happens. If you have a different configuration try different means. We want to make sure that the problem is not in the video part of the system.

Remove the memory modules, clean the slots and contacts and reseat firmly.

If all this doesn't work then it's probably the motherboard, the CPU or both. In most cases it's the motherboard. For some reason I feel that the problem is not there.

p914

p914

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I only have the one that's in the motherboard. No extra card. I've discoed the plug and replugged. I'll clean the RAM and reconnect and see what happens.

Advertisements

p914

p914

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
no luck with cleaning the ram.
I noticed that when powering up though I'm not getting a blink of the red light from my hd. The green power light comes on and stays and my CD light blinks once but not the hd light. Possibly the hd?

p914

p914

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
i discoed and reconnected the power and other connector from the hd to the mother board and no help there.

p914

p914

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I layed the system on it's side so i could get a good clear view. I'm now getting 3-4 beeps as I power it up.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The fact that you can't boot to BIOS can be the result of two things:

1: The computer boots but you can't see it because of a failure in the integrated video card or bus. If you have an add-on video card, even a very old pci card, try to install it and see if the monitor comes back to life. Ignore video quality.

2: The motehrboard is finished. That's the common case. In other cases the CPU may be the source of the problem. In much less frequent cases both will be faulty.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The beeps comes either from the memory modules which do not seat properly in place or from a faulty video card.