I’m attempting to repair a laptop for a co-worker, I was told that months ago a virus got in and XP stopped booting, she said that there wasn’t really any important information on there, and she pretty much let the thing sit for months.
So I figured a wipe and reinstall of XP Home, not a problem…
Instead of trying to explain my reasons for everything I’m going to just do a quick time line.
• Started the install of XP home.
• On reformatting the drive into NTFS, it stops after 100% and says that its unable to complete disk may be damaged.
• I run SCANDISK from a boot disk and have it repair all bad sectors.
• I rerun the installer, and in finishes the format too NTFS.
• As its copying over the setup files, still in the dos based installer it keeps locking, telling me that it either can not copy a file or the file was copied incorrectly asking if I want to retry exit or ignore, after having to hit ignore more then 20 times (for 20 different files, and only getting to the 30% mark) I close out.
• I figure the hard drive is bad, and replace it with another one, same problem.
• I figure the DVD drive perhaps is bad, so I get a second laptop, my own, and switch in the original HDD.
• I install XP Home through my laptop successfully.
• I take the drive out and slide it into the coworkers laptop.
Now when I try to boot up I get a blank cursor in the top left, I’ve run a diagnostic on the drive and its still coming away clean, getting ready to run a diagnostic on the DVD now, but why ohhh why is it not booting to windows…its on the drive, the drive is good, whats dead?