Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blank Cursor in top left on boot.

• Please log in to reply

Noirangel

Noirangel

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey all, a quick summary,

I’m attempting to repair a laptop for a co-worker, I was told that months ago a virus got in and XP stopped booting, she said that there wasn’t really any important information on there, and she pretty much let the thing sit for months.

So I figured a wipe and reinstall of XP Home, not a problem…

Instead of trying to explain my reasons for everything I’m going to just do a quick time line.

• Started the install of XP home.
• On reformatting the drive into NTFS, it stops after 100% and says that its unable to complete disk may be damaged.
• I run SCANDISK from a boot disk and have it repair all bad sectors.
• I rerun the installer, and in finishes the format too NTFS.
• As its copying over the setup files, still in the dos based installer it keeps locking, telling me that it either can not copy a file or the file was copied incorrectly asking if I want to retry exit or ignore, after having to hit ignore more then 20 times (for 20 different files, and only getting to the 30% mark) I close out.
• I figure the hard drive is bad, and replace it with another one, same problem.
• I figure the DVD drive perhaps is bad, so I get a second laptop, my own, and switch in the original HDD.
• I install XP Home through my laptop successfully.
• I take the drive out and slide it into the coworkers laptop.

Now when I try to boot up I get a blank cursor in the top left, I’ve run a diagnostic on the drive and its still coming away clean, getting ready to run a diagnostic on the DVD now, but why ohhh why is it not booting to windows…its on the drive, the drive is good, whats dead?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Unless you have the exact same model of computer as the one you are trying to fix, Windows will not load because you do not have the correct drivers for the video display. The blinking cursor in the top left corner says the monitor or display screen is working, but it is working in the DOS mode.

You will probably need to swap the DVD drive in the laptop for a good one so you can install XP on the problem computer.

SRX660