Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSoD - XP - Not on list.

• Please log in to reply

Sometimes needs help

Sometimes needs help

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Well, I have a Dell Latitude C600. It runs Windows XP Professional SP2. I'm wanting to fix this BSoD because I'd rather have a good laptop than a dead one that I can't use. This may be a virus infection or something. I can run the computer on Knoppix. I'm hoping I can do something without paying.

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status o
f 0xc0000005 (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down.

I can't even boot up the computer! Help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Is this error occuring with the power cord plugged into the back of the computer and of course into the wall outlet, or is it running on battery power?

Fenor

*EDIT* -- It would also be a good idea to check out the Microsoft page found HERE.

Edited by Fenor, 19 September 2008 - 05:55 PM.

Sometimes needs help

Sometimes needs help

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Thanks for your help. The error occurs both when it is plugged in and when it is not. The thing on Microsoft.com won't help because I can't even get past where it goes Windows Xp, then shows those green bars. I have some software that allows me to get a command prompt but it just says bad file name.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Do you have an XP CD?

Sometimes needs help

Sometimes needs help

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
No, I do not currently have an XP CD.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Then I suggest you get one from someone that has the exactly same version of XP that you have, meaning SP2 version if you have SP2 or SP1 if you have SP1. Once you have that, post back and I will give the next step.

Fenor

Sometimes needs help

Sometimes needs help

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
I have talked to everyone I know, and nobody has a disk... I really don't know what to do.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Unfortunately not much you can do without one. I suggest you keep looking/asking. Again, you don't need their CD Key, so making a copy of their CD and using it will not hurt them in anyway because they still have their Authentication key to themselves.

Fenor

Sometimes needs help

Sometimes needs help

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
Yeah, everyone I know has different brand PC's. Like HP Recovery disks for XP. None dell which kind of stinks.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You don't want recovery CD's, but just a regular old XP CD. Versions from Dell or whatnot will work just fine if they boot up like a normal XP CD and don't start some proprietary recovery software.