Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

installation problem

• Please log in to reply

Tomeyer

Tomeyer

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello all

I just bought a asus p5ql pro board/intel e8400cpu with 2gig gskill 1066 ram using a asus 9600gt graphics this is for a media centre so I used my Silverstone box containing 2 capture cards ie a avermedia t777 and a dvico duel4.

Harddrives are 3 sata 1 ide and 1 sata asus lightscribe burner also a superflower 500w psu 14".

I spent a lot of time on forum to check out each item and I thought all seemed compatible ,however after assembling all I booted up and checked the bios all seemed good I used the default settings and started using a live ubuntu disc.

First problem the disc started a disc check not a harddrive mind you but a floppy.

I decided after a search 'perhaps a problem with the disc,so even though i'll stuff up my grub boot on the existing hardrve I'll install windows on a partition on my ide drive.
All went ok until i tried to use my asus installation disc to install drivers,it wouldn't read.

I can't remember exactly hat happened after that whether I switched of or reset accidentally but on restart the safe mode came up and using the start normal option the unit promptly froze.Also all other options went the same way including the last good config.
Since then i have double checked all connections,isolated harddrives,capture cards,tried a different burner,even a different ide drive with absolutely no difference.

If you're still awake after reading this any suggestions would be welcome last resort take it all out and start again

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi and welcome to the forums.

I'm still awake! Can you run through everything in this list? It's our troubleshooting guide, and should be able to help you pinpoint the problem.

Let me know how you go.

Cheers

Troy

Tomeyer

Tomeyer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for your reply Troy.

I guess I was just peeved by the whole train of events when I posted this item .

I did go through the check list.Bios is not an issue but hardware is.

I've allready discounted the harddrives,graphic card and burner
I think I'l run the board outside of the case and see if that makes a difference as I'm not discounting the Silverstone box.

The reason I upgraded the system was that I had ongoing problems with my previous system and I suspected the cpu which had previously been dropped and the pins bent.

I have a lot on my plate at present and I didn;t need this to happen.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts

I did go through the check list.Bios is not an issue but hardware is.

I've allready discounted the harddrives,graphic card and burner
I think I'l run the board outside of the case and see if that makes a difference as I'm not discounting the Silverstone box.

Hi again, if you had gone through the list your motherboard setup would be stripped back and out of the case already.

It's unfortunate these things happen, I find they often seem to spring up on me at a critical time. (I could have dealt with this yesterday, sure, but why now?)

Let me know how you go.

Cheers

Troy