Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Computer shuts down after several seconds

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, i'm new here and I don't have too much experience building computers, but I know enough. Recently, I started to build my own computer. I have almost completed it, but it shuts down after only several seconds of operation. If anybody knows why let me know. I think it might be the power supply but that is only a guess.

My computer intel e8500 xfx 780i motherboard a nvidia geforce 5500 (temporary) 4 GB corsair pc8500 ram, a sony disk drive, and a bfg 680 watt psu. Currently I don't have a HDD installed. Do you need that to boot to the bios?

Edited by darkfury22, 19 September 2008 - 09:49 PM.

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi there and welcome,

No you don't need a hard drive to boot to the BIOS. Can you work through this list and report back and helpful information you find.

Hopefully you can pinpoint the problem.