Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Video Controller Question

• Please log in to reply

McKnight

McKnight

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
After reformatting my computer... I began the slow reinstallation of drivers, etc. This is where I noticed that under the My Computer>Properties>Hardware>Device Manager... I see "Other devices," with two Video Controller sub items; one of which is Video Controller (VGA Compatible).

What is the difference between the two (the Video Controller; and the Video Controller (VGA Compatible)? I want to know which one I should install drivers for...

Any help/info would greatly be appreciated... thanks.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
One may be on-board graphics, the other a separate card.
Find drivers for them both, you may find one driver feed them both and the erroneous entry will morph into something else.

McKnight

McKnight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Thanks for the post...

I have 128MB PCI Express (Radeon); and when I install the driver for it, it does indeed morph into one entry. My only question now is this:

When choosing Display Properties>Settings (by right-clicking on the desktop); and then using the drop arrow for the Display... I am prompted to choose from two Radeon cards (both the same name; but one with a lower color default setting).

Why are two shown with the same name?

Thanks again...

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
This is normal behaviour for recent graphics card as they have the ability to power two monitors.
So you can have a spreadsheet on one screen for example and a cash flow forecast on the other.

McKnight

McKnight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Thank you very much for your time...

One last question if I may:

Do you recommend downloading the card utilities as well; or just the driver? I ask, because last time I tried downloading the utilities... I encounted an error and was unable to complete the download. Is the utility driver even needed?

Thanks...

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
I only download the driver and try to avoid the superfluous crap that ATI/Nvidia seem to want to bundle with everything these days. I want it to put a picture on my screen and if I wanted a 30 day trial to *some online gaming site* I'd go there myself, not download it from ATI of all places.

McKnight

McKnight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Thank you very much my friend... you have been more than helpful.