Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A new pc

• Please log in to reply

stalksuk

stalksuk

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hello! What do you guys think on this lot:

Antec Nine Hundred - Advanced Gaming Case
Corsair 1000W Power Supply Unit
ASUS P5N-D
Intel® Core™2 Quad Q9550 Quad Core 4x2.83GHz 12MB cache
Coolermaster Hyper TX2 Fan
Corsair XMS2 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800MHz
360GB 7200RPM SATA II
Samsung SH-S203 20x DVD RW LightScribe Black SATA
2 x NVidia GeForce GTX 280 1GB
Microsoft Windows XP SP3 Professional (32-bit)
22" Widescreen TFT 1680x1050 5m/s Monitor
Logitech Keyboard and Optical Mouse
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Creative Inspire™ T6100 5.1

Any suggestions, what to keep? change?

thanks!

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

I would change the Coolermaster Hyper TX2 fan to a better performing one - the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 is an excellent performer and a popular choice on the market right now.

2x GTX 280 in SLI is a massive hit on the wallet, I would consider the 4870 in Crossfire instead, or even the 4850 in Crossfire. Read up on Tom's Hardware review here, which was posted only the end of last month.

I also recommend grabbing a larger hard drive, not only do you get more storage space but you also get better performance. Some of the quick hard drives coming to mind right now include the Western Digital 640GB, the and Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB.

And Windows XP? I vote Vista! :)

Cheers

Troy

stalksuk

stalksuk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
the 2 gfx, is only around £500ish, i use to pay £300-£450 on 1 gfx card back in the day:P I'll have a look, im cheatin and using a company to build me a system, so i get limited options what i can choose. Vista? I heard it isnt as good as XP for gaming? Thats what my system is going to be for. I have a limit of £1800 to spend, but i do need a new monitor/mouse/speakers/keyboard etc :)

Thanks!

also, where i live. It can get VERY hot. Which is why i think my old pc is startin to have problems.

Edited by stalksuk, 20 September 2008 - 06:17 AM.

stalksuk

stalksuk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hey again, My mate is going to help me build a pc.. so im gonna go for it o_O

What do you guys think of this lot:

Antec TriCool Blue Fan - 120mm
LiteOn LH-20A1L-14C 20x DVDRW LightScribe SATA
LiteOn DVD-ROM Drive - OEM
16x Read DVD Speed
48x CD Read Speed
2 x BFG GeForce GTX 280 OC 1GB
OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Reaper HPC 4GB Edition
Asus M3A32-MVP Deluxe/WiFi-AP Motherboard
500GB Samsung HD502IJ
Antec Nine Hundred
800W Tagan TG800-U26 i-Xeye II
AMD Phenom X4 Quad-Core 9950 2.6GHz Processor

Please let me know what you guys think. As i have always choosen pcs with a big price tag, as i think they are good :) This lot will cost me around £1500. Whereas the other pc above would cost me £1800

Thanks for your help!!

=OSS*ROID=

=OSS*ROID=

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
again, the 2x GeForce 280GTXs is a waste, no game will be using that much power for a while, and you are much better off just getting one and waiting because I'm sure that there will be new graphics cards that come out that will be even better. And when they do, the price of this one will go way down. Its up to you but I would wait to get a second one, or I would just get the GeForce 9800 GX2 which is an awesome graphics card for the price. Again, up to you.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
800W PSU will not cut it for GTX 280 in SLI.

You're looking at 1kW minimum... (very high quality 1kW)

Troy

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
And maybe a bigger case like the Antec 1200, I think the Antec 900 will be a bit small to handle GTX 280 SLI.
Also I would suggest to go for the Corsair 1000HX because its modular and will help you quite a bit for your cable management.
I would also recommend going back to an Intel build as its a better performer right now.

Kamille