Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Opening exe. files in Vista 64 bit

• Please log in to reply

Blossom1007

Blossom1007

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
My new laptop has Vista Home Premium 64 bit OS. It is working fine for most of my tasks however one of my important files will not open. The files are exe. embroidery designs which I pay for and download from a sewing site.
I need to open these files in order to transfer them to a memory card which is then inserted into my sewing machine.
HOW to I get these files to open in Vista 64 bit??? Microsoft has a fix download but it only work with 32 bit.
PLEASE...someone help! :)

Advertisements

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Is the program compatible with Vista 64bit?
Have you tried right clicking on the process and choosing 'Run as Administrator'?

Blossom1007

Blossom1007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I have contacted the website to see if files are 64 bit compatible however have not heard back as yet.

Since I am a novice would you kindly explain the right click....run as administrator suggestion. :)

YourFriend

YourFriend

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Right click the file and then click on "Run as administrator"

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Using your mouse, set the pointer on the .exe file, then use the 'right click' button on the mouse (not a double left click to open it). A drop down list will appear... choose 'Run as Administrator'.

Blossom1007

Blossom1007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Run as Administrator was not a choice, HOWEVER the files came up as .JEF and .PES
When I did an online search the JEF files could be opened with Janome Customizer which is my sewing machine/embroidery machine. I installed the Customizer software and now I am able to download these designs to my memory card. Phew! :)

Now I am having the same problem with the .PES files which are for my Brother embroidery machine. I downloaded my PED Basic softward and can access them this way but Windows still will not open them. I am temporarily okay but this is very tedious. I have been working on this for 3 weeks since I bought my laptop.

Thank you so much for your help. :) Your suggestions were most helpful in getting me to think this through. Any suggestions about opening the .PES files? This is not vital as I CAN get them onto my Brother memory card.

Blossom

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Scroll down to the last reply on this page:
http://filext.com/in...hp?t=476&page=2