Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Contrast ratios on different brands of monitors

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I have a question that I have been wondering about for a while now. When searching for a good monitor, I want to know what is the difference between certain manufacturers contrast ratios. I have heard that one cannot be compared to the other... that the image is set in the eyes of the beholder. Is this true?

Furthermore, if I have a 20,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio by Acer vs a 1,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio by viewsonic, and a 10,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio by Samsung, which one is better?

If anyone can help me out here I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks much,

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If you have ever been in a TV store did you notice that some TV's have much darker blacks than others? Heres a good example.

Basically a higher contrast ratio will mean that the screen will tend to have deeper blacks and brighter whites. Where things get haywire is monitor makers use their own standards for contrast ratio. So the best bet is to go to a computer store and compare. I find that the Samsung seem to have the better contrast. I have a radius 17 LCD but colors seem a bit dimmer and blacks are not quite black as the samsung.

Gamers they use the term "pixel swim" if refres h rates are down around 60 hz, so they always look for higher refresh rates. Very high contrast ratios are good if you watch DVD movies on your computer, but you really don't need over 1000 contrast ratio's for basic computer use unless you like doing detailed graphics. You should also look for a 19 inch monitor brightness number at a CD/m2 (Candelas per square meter) value of about 300 to 400.