Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Problem

• Please log in to reply

tenzi

tenzi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Thanks Samm,
i will check out with powered usb as u suggest. and will let u know whats the result .
thnks alot

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You're welcome. Let us know how you get on.

tenzi

tenzi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Hi Samm,
Well i went out to check out for the powerd usb hub as u had suggested but the problem is, which ever shops i had visited they just show me the same usb hub which i had with me. and they just tell me like they don't have other than which i have. Can you tell me the specific name/techninal name of the powerd usb hub or company which sells powered usb hub.

Or is it like i have to look out for Hdd case which take its power externally.Cuz the Hdd case that am using rightnow gets it power from the usb port.

anxiously waiting for ur reply!

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi Tenzi

I don't know where you live but I've included 2 links, one for an Engliah site (ebuyer.com) & one for an American site (newegg.com). Both links are examples of powered USB hubs. Hope this helps.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817111490

http://www.ebuyer.co...oduct_uid=86559

(NB the picture in the ebuyer link is not apicture of the device that they are advertising!)

MildBill

MildBill

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Let me add some uncommon knowledge about USB drives:

1. Self-powered enclosures sometimes fail on any PC - like Startech's junk.

2. Most self-powered enclosures will work on standard desktops. The vast majority will fail on notebooks because a notebooks favor power saving over consumption for obvious reasons.

3. AC-powered drives are preferred for the above reasons, despite defeating the idea of true portability. Shame...

4. If a self-powered enclosure is a necessity, PS/2-powered versions are more reliable. Unfortunately, most new notebooks omit PS/2 ports.

Good luck!

Bill D.
(Forum moderator at USBMan.com and EverythingUSB.com)

Edited by MildBill, 15 June 2005 - 08:21 AM.