Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gigabyte Vs. MSI

• Please log in to reply

chickmazta

chickmazta

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
I've been wanting to purchase a motherboard, but I'm really confuse now. The mobo's brand is MSI and the model is K9AGM3-FIH I did a lot of research about it. Some people are having some problems about it but in the end they resolved their issues. And I also read some threads that its ok to purchase this mobo.

So the next day I decided to go for it, but as I was reading some other info on the net I came across with Gigabyte's GA-MA69GM-2SH. It is also a 690G/SB600 chipset. And now I've been having some second thoughts because gigabyte's board is a little bit tougher than msi's. So guys can you help me out as to which I would choose. I've been using my MSI mobo for about 4 years now and I haven't got any problems regarding the mobo itself. And if just incase this would be my first time using Gigabyte's mobo. Tnx in advance!!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Brand names are simply there for healthy competition and some people swear by certain brands. Like people who only buy Ford cars, there are people who will only buy MSI boards or Gigabyte boards.

That being said, the boards use exactly the same chipset and the only other differences I can find is that the Gigabyte board supports up to 16Gb of memory as opposed to 8Gb for the MSI board, and the Gigabyte board offers DVI output for the onboard graphics whereas MSI does not.

Whether you need DVI or support for 16Gb of memory is for you to decide. A lot of comments about produce of any type tend to sway the reader into thinking the product's poor when in actual fact if the board was that rubbish in the first place it wouldn't have been mass-produced. Most board failures occur through either incompetence, ignorance or trying to feed too much voltage through it rather that the board being dead out of the box.

chickmazta

chickmazta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Ok tnx! In your own opinion what would you choose? MSI or Gigabyte? This is just an opinion for me to have an idea.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

As Neil has said - they're both pretty much the same. If you don't need the Gigabyte's 16GB support, or onboard DVI output, then I advise to choose whichever you can pickup for cheaper. :)

I personally have a Gigabyte motherboard - it's great - but I have had success with MSI too, in the past.

Cheers

Troy

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I agree price is the best decider.

chickmazta

chickmazta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
ok tnx for the help. I'll go for the MSI board. I've read threads about gigabytes board dying out. tnx so much!^_^ ciao^^