Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hard ware causing power problems

• Please log in to reply

BeeRizzal

BeeRizzal

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
ok well when i was leaving my house the power went out on my block, when i returned home my computer would not turn on, tho my roomates computers were fine. well ive eliminated the power source, precessor, memory, my os was bad but i reinstalled it, all the components of my computer work fine sepretly, but when all hooked up together nothing, when i hit the power button the fans start for about 10 secounds and turn back off, but if i dissconnect the disk drives and the hard drives the powersource and processor fans run the lights turn on, but when i reconnect harddrives , back to nothing.

we've changed the mother board its brand new, same with the processor, we checked the memory its fine, my hard drives are good too the os on the master was shot so i reformated my slave and put a new os on it and the drives both worked after that in my roomates computer. but like i said when all the components are together its a big nothing. we've even switched out the wire sets, and still nothing.

any suggestions? im really stumped here, and my comp is my life, im dying without it >_<#

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Without more information we can only guess.

If you are using Pata drives, you need to check to see if the jumpers on the hard drives and the cd/dvd drives are all set to master. They should be set to cable select with the hard drive at the end of the cable. Most MB's have 2 IDE connectors. If so use one for the cdrom drive and the other for the hard drive.

If you are using SATA drives, it is probably a setting in the BIOS that causing the problem.

Please give us the spec's on your computer.

SRX660

BeeRizzal

BeeRizzal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
The harddrives and cd drives are ide, there is not hook up for sata. It when the harddirves and cd drives are connected to the power source it either is drawling to much power are it is shorting the power out, i was able to get into the bios without the harddrives and cd drives connected. all the things work fine but just not together.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
What is the Watts of your power supply. I would download the freestanding Speedfan and see what your voltages on the 12 volt and 5 volt lines are. Low voltages can cause this problem. It could also be that a power surge in the lines has caused some of the electronics either in the computer or in the hard drive to burn slightly causing a high amperage draw.

It is possible that your Motherboard has been damaged by the power outage. It's not the outage that hurts the computer, but the power surge when the power comes back on that can do quite a lot of damage to a computer. I have had a power surge damage the on-board sound and a graphics card on a computer at the same time.

SRX660

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Hes says he has replaced the motherboard and processor but didn't say anything about replacing the power supply.... that would be my first guess, especially after a power outage... it may turn on but it sounds like it is not kicking enough power.... you could also try taking everything out of the case and plug it together out of the case and see if you get better results.... but as SRX660 says with an outage you could have taken all kinds of surge damage....

BeeRizzal

BeeRizzal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
i did replace the power supply as well only thing i havnt rplaced was the hard drives and disk drive. when i put them in my friends pc they worked fine. I never thought of the voltage not being correct. how would i ajust that. thur the bios utiltly? its a 400w max power suppley.

Edited by BeeRizzal, 24 September 2008 - 06:54 PM.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
You buy a quality power supply..... what brand did you get?

BeeRizzal

BeeRizzal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
the power supply is brand new. it works fine. you mention that the voltage may be wrong. all parts but the hard and cd drives are new. there is no reason that when i connect every cord the way it should be that it starts up and then ten seconds later it shut back off. i have had every part of my pc tested and they all worked and passed. should i buy new ide cords? or should i buy new cd and hard disk drives? this problem is mind blowing and no one can think of why its not working. my friends pc are in the same house and nothing is wrong with them, which is how I'm able to communicate.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
AGAIN you need a QUALITY power supply if you got an el cheapo whether it's new or not it may not provide enough power..... and even if it says it is 10000watts it may only provide 120watts realiably that is why you need a quality brand power supply...

Other thoughts include that the Heatsink is not seated well on the processor.... you could try new cables but I've never seen that shut a computer down... If it is shutting off ( actually off not just restart ) then it is usually an issue with the power supply or motherboard/cpu....or possibly the power source that the power supply is plugged into...