Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Still trying to install Home o/s

• Please log in to reply

aaaa44

aaaa44

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
Still can't get the o/s to install or installation cd to run. I went to the store where I bought the hd and the tech guy said the hd and wd installation cd were ok so he concluded that the dvd burner must be bad. I bought a new dvd burner and installed it, but it made no difference. I also installed new ide or ied whatever they're called cables and a new little dvd burner cable, but these made no difference either. I tried the dvd burner set as the master and hd set as the slave and at the neutral setting but this did not help either. I also tried the installations with the dvd burner and hd connected to separate ied cables. I will check all the connections again. The dvd drive is detected by the bios, and I am booting from the dvd burner. What else should I check?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Lets get back to basics. First i need to know what your haredware setup is. Motherboard? CPU?, everything. Are you trying to install Vista Home, or XP home.

Are you formatting the hard drive first?

Please read this webpage so you know what the steps are to install.

http://www.microsoft...xp/install.mspx

Pay attention to steps 6 and 7 as that is probably what you need to do.

If there is a different problem please be specific and let us know in detail what the problem is and what you have done to try correcting it.

SRX660