Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Processor running below capabilities

• Please log in to reply

SpanishFly225

SpanishFly225

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello,

I bought a laptop computer quite some time ago (a couple years) from Best Buy. It is a Gateway MX6440 notebook and it was advertised to have a 1.8Ghz AMD Turion processor. I was just trying to play a game, and it said my processor was too slow, and showed its speed as 800Mhz.

I did mess around with some overclocking apps about a year and a half ago but I didn't think I had changed anything.

Could anybody maybe help me figure out what is making my processor run so slowly, and possibly assist me in correcting the problem?

I appreciate any help.

-Tony

Here is the link to the manufacturers website.
Gateway MX6440 Website

Edited by SpanishFly225, 20 September 2008 - 07:19 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Most laptops to save power put the processor into a slower speed mode when they don't need the extra power. Installing something doesn't count as needing the extra juice.

This behaviour can also be caused by options in the BIOS to dynamically alter CPU speed, or by some software installed on the machine.

dragonskin29

dragonskin29

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
This happens on my Toshiba laptop as well.

Try this. On your taskbar on the right hand side look over the items that are there. One of them when right-clicked should say to Adjust for Performance etc.

Hope it works.

SpanishFly225

SpanishFly225

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I appreciate the replies.

I do not have any icons that say that in my toolbar. The only one that is remotely related is for my graphics chip.

Is there any way to tell the processor to run faster, or at full capacity?

Even when I look at my system specs it says that my processor is 789Mhz.