Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Motherboard, Old Network - XP

• Please log in to reply

halogen3

halogen3

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I replaced my motherboard with a shiny new ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe. One of the features of this board is the incorporation of a Marvell Gigabit LAN chip. I installed Windows XP Pro to a clean disk, but it will only come up in Safe Mode. I get several unrecognized devices, such as the SATA controller, which I can update drivers for, no problem - except for the LAN stuff. The update for this is embedded in a program that refuses to run (can't start service, kernel issues, whatever) in safe mode with networking turned off, but my computer hangs in normal startup or safe mode with networking. I can confirm through event logging that it is giving errors in trying to start TCPIP and NETBIOS so I do believe this is the problem. What I would like to do is fire up XP without networking in *normal* mode to see if I can get this network cd installed. I tried disabling all the hardware under network adapters, and tried to remove networking in Windows components. It still hangs.

Any ideas?

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Did you do this re-install without all of the periferals such as network connection connected? You need to have that SATA driver on a floppy to load during the install process (F6 I believe). If I understand your post correctly, you have not been able to boot normally since the re-install, just into safe mode? If this is the case, maybe the easiest thing to do is remove all non-essential elements, have just the mobo, ram, one hard drive, one cd/dvd and floppy connected, ie no network connection. Then get your sata driver on to a floppy and repeat the re-install. You can configure the internet/lan tcp/ip and all that good stuff after getting the thing up and running with just the basics.

The on board lan driver should be on the motherboard cd. The SATA driver should be there too, you just need to extract it to a floppy.

halogen3

halogen3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
'Twas a good guess - my network cable was plugged in during intstall - but I ended up in the same situation. Trying now to do a clean install with onboard LAN turned off in the bios. I dunno - if this doesn't work I'll have to read a manual or something. :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I note this card has two lan ports...one the gigabit and one the 100base-t

the 100-baset is installed with the nvidia system drivers.

I would disable gigabit in bios, install windows and get it all working.

Then install gb drivers, reboot, reenable gb in bios, then start windows.

halogen3

halogen3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Removed the LAN from the bios but I am still getting some sort of services error with "a connected device is not functioning" when the system tries to fire up network related services. I've got a plan B - I have an install where the network installed just fine, but the CD and DVD drives were "unknown devices". I'll try to go back to that one and see if the drive problem is easier to fix. I was hoping to create ONE clean install somewhere . . . if only I could blend the two and get what I wanted!