Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Update Error number: 0x8007007E

• Please log in to reply

jim10011

jim10011

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
Hello. I tried to update my computer with Windows Update, and since then everything has gone haywire. I can't get any updates, and many programs that depend on up-to-date settings have stopped functioning properly (paint, visual web developer, windows defender). When I try and update I get Error number: 0x8007007E.
Microsoft has instructed me to:

Some system files may not be registered properly. The following command will re-register these files so they will be recognized by the computer.

1. Click "Start", "Run", type: "notepad C:\register.bat" (without quotations) and press "Enter". Choose "Yes" when you are prompted.

2. Copy the following commands and then paste them into the opened Notepad window.

regsvr32 licdll.dll
regsvr32 Inseng.dll
regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 Ole32.dll
regsvr32 Urlmon.dll
regsvr32 Mssip32.dll
regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 wuweb.dll
regsvr32 msxml.dll
regsvr32 msxml2.dll
regsvr32 msxml3.dll
regsvr32 softpub.dll
regsvr32 initpki.dll
regsvr32 wintrust.dll
regsvr32 dssenh.dll
regsvr32 rsaenh.dll
regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll
regsvr32 sccbase.dll
regsvr32 slbcsp.dll
regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll
regsvr32 jscript.dll
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptsvc
ren %windir%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.old
ren %windir%\SoftwareDistribution oldSD
net start wuauserv
net start cryptsvc

3. After you have pasted the above commands, please close the "Notepad" window. Choose "Yes" when you are prompted to save the file.

4. Click "Start", "Run", type: "C:\register.bat" and press "Enter" to run the commands we have pasted.

-------------------------

All of these commands were successful, except one.
regsvr32 Inseng.dll gives me the error message: Inseng.dll was loaded, but the dllregisterserver entry point was not found. this file can not be registered.

Microsoft told me to find the file and replace it with a file I should look for on a friends computer. I feel like I'm being helped by a 12 year old. I have searched for this file and cannot find it. I have looked in all files including hidden ones. I don't know where this file is located, or IF it is anywhere, and I don't understand why I have to search a friend's computer. Why can't they just give me the proper file?

I'm so frustrated. I have searched hi and low for an answer to this problem and nothing has worked. Please help!! :)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
A better solution, this does more checks and fixes. Contrary to what Microsoft would have you believe, a bunch of regsvr32 commands doesn't fix everything.
http://software.hitoma.com/WURT/

jim10011

jim10011

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Ok I downloaded and ran wurtbeta.exe but I still have the same error message when trying to update windows.