Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Network Not Identified

• Please log in to reply

ittybittybit

ittybittybit

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi again ^^

I'm here on behalf of my sister who is having trouble accessing her internet. Here's what I know so far and have been able to discover since she lives in another apartment and I haven't spent much time on her computer.

She bought a refurbished computer with Windows Vista back in Feb. They had no kind of internet connection at the time so really didn't think about testing that part out. They loaded a few games on it and that's it. Everything seemed to be working fine. Last week she was able to get internet connection and it's just not working. The cable tech spent over 2 hours trying to figure it out, but couldn't. He was able to plug in his laptop and get internet connection instantly. They tried calling HP, Microsoft, and the cable company and spent over 7 hours total on the phone trying to work it out. Nothing seemed to work.

They took it back to the store they had bought it from and received a loaner computer while it was in the shop. The loaner hooked up instantly without a problem. They now have the old computer back, but can not once again get internet. The techs told her that they were able to connect at the shop if they disabled Norton and that's all she had to do. But she can't get it to recognize any kind of network no matter what she does.

They also told her it wasn't a hardware problem, but a software one. They restored everything back to it's original settings and reinstalled Vista, but still nothing.

I'm not familiar with that OS so have tried everything I can think of to help. I've tried researching and haven't found anything to help either.

Any help or even pointers to a site with information would be wonderful. Thank you once again!

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts
Hello ittybittybit and welcome to Geeks to Go! :)

I must honestly say this will be a challenge as I'm a bit new to Vista Networking myself. Though I will do my best! :)

A few questions that will give me a better insight of what is going on:
Have you tried turning off Norton? (That worked in the store, right?)
Which version of Vista is the PC running?

And more questions will probably pop up as we go.

Regards,
Olrik

ittybittybit

ittybittybit

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Sorry for the late reply! I had to find out the answers as best I could from her.

She says it's Vista Home.
Also she turned off all the individual parts of Norton, but it didn't help. We weren't sure if there was like a big "Turn Off" switch for it since she barely knows computers and I'm not familiar with the layout of Vista. I had her turn it all back on for now.

The cable company says all modems are working fine on their end and hers.

Thank you! And I'll try to answer as best as I can!

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts
Hello again ittybittybit,

I am so sorry for not replying in such a long time. The notification of this post got drowned in my e-mails.

Is your sister using Norton? Or is she wanting to switch to another anti-virus software?
If she wants to switch we have a post made by admin where you can read up on the different AV software's.
http://www.geekstogo...ftware-t38.html

If you do want to proceed on this, let me know so I can guide you through the process. (Norton can be nasty to uninstall)

Regards,
Olrik