Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DVD ROM not reading anything

• Please log in to reply

dragonskin29

dragonskin29

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Recently I bought a new DVD ROM (COMBO) and I formatted by computer.
I then proceeded to install all the drivers, however everything is working fine except for my new DVD ROM.
It opens and closes the tray, but it doesn't read any discs. (DVD OR CD). The green light blinks but thats it.
When I try to access the drive from My Computer it shows an empty disk asking whether there are any files to be written.

I then proceeded to upgrade the firmware but it was already on the latest version. I even reinstalled my chipset drivers thinking it would have been a problem with the SATA drivers.

Anyways these are my specs if it is needed.
Taken from Belarc Advisor

Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. G31M-S2L
Enclosure Type: Desktop
Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. G31M-S2L
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. F6 06/05/2008

Processor
2.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium Dual
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache

41.16 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
37.62 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

SAMSUNG CD-ROM SC-148C
TSSTcorp CDW/DVD SH-M523B [CD-ROM drive] --- thats the one that's not working
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

HDS728040PLAT20 [Hard drive] (41.17 GB) -- drive 0, s/n PFD155S1TWE4LJ, rev PF1OA21B, SMART Status: Healthy
USB Flash Memory USB Device [Hard drive] (123 MB) -- drive 1

Controllers Display
Standard floppy disk controller
Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]
Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller ATI Radeon HD 2400 PRO [Display adapter]
Samsung SyncMaster 510b(CHB5707*) [Monitor] (13.8"vis, December 1998)
Bus Adapters Multimedia
Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
Standard Universal PCI to USB Host Controller (4x)

Thanks for any help!

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi there,

I'll take it the installation happened from the Samsung drive? Have you ever had this new drive working?

First up, you could try booting from the drive. Make sure you enter the BIOS and make the new drive (TSSTcorp) as the master. Then insert a CD that is bootable. This could be a memtest86 disc, your Windows installation disc, or a linux live CD.

If this does not work, you could try attaching the drive with a different data cable - swap some around and see if you get any success. Also try using different connection ports on the motherboard.

If all of these fail, then there is a problem with the drive itself, and I would RMA it back for another one.

If these do work, but the drive won't work in XP, then you could try uninstalling the device from the Device Manager, rebooting, and trying again.

Cheers

Troy

dragonskin29

dragonskin29

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Thanks for the reply.

I tried booting a disc through it and it didn't work.
I tried using my Windows XP Cd.

Also I did try uninstalling my drivers and that didn't work either. Now it looks like it's time to open the case.

dragonskin29

dragonskin29

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Nope looks live gotta return it.

Ive used 3 days of my 3 year warranty lol :)
Next time im gonna make them run a DVD instead of just showing me the tray opening and closing and it being detected on My Computer.

Anyways just to know this is what happened.

I first tried replacing the SATA Cable. - Didn't work
I then tried with the old SATA Cable on 4 SATA Ports.
Port S something 0 - xp didnt boot. got stuck on loading screen.
Port S something I - initial port. no luck.
Port S something II - xp didnt boot. got stuck on loading screen.
Port S something III - no luck.

so 4 ports no luck, new sata cable nothing.
Time to get it replaced. :)

could it be a read/write head problem?

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Try one of these:
1. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
or...
2. http://aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip
or...
3. Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
You'll see two items:
- ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
- ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)
Right click on each of them, and click Uninstal. Confirm.
Restart Windows. They'll be automatically reinstalled.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi Broni,

The first link is only applicable if those specific error messages are appearing;
The second link is a .zip file - what does it do? How does it work?
The third point (instructions) are incorrect. There's no need to go uninstalling all of them. The CD/DVD drive will only be connected to one of them. Also note that some computers will have more than two items. Other computers will have a different setup altogether.

Because the drive cannot be booted from, then it is faulty and in need of replacement. As a last ditch effort, the OP could try installing this drive into a different computer, just for troubleshooting purposes.

Cheers

Troy

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
It's surely very possible, the drive itself is bad, but we can't know for sure, unless tried on another computer, so there is no harm in trying my steps

The first link is only applicable if those specific error messages are appearing;

This is what M$ says, but advised that step number of times in the past, including not working, or missing optical drive, not only when errors are present.

The second link is a .zip file - what does it do? How does it work?

This is a reg file, which automatically deletes upper-, and lowerfilters, plus couple of other items.

The third point (instructions) are incorrect. There's no need to go uninstalling all of them.

I'm not aware of any way to find which channel is responsible for optical drive, so I propose to uninstall both of them. They're gonna be automatically reinstalled, so no harm done.

Edited by Broni, 22 September 2008 - 05:54 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi again,

You fail to recognise that all of your steps involve using the Windows OS.

The drive should work regardless - even without a hard drive and OS installed in the computer at all! After all, that's how most OS installations are done - from the optical drive to the hard drive. Fixing the drive "from within Windows" does not make sense in this instance.

And there's completely no need to go recommending an automatic registry change - playing with the registry is dangerous. I am fully aware of what that .zip file does, my questions were asked to get you to explain what it does and why it might be helpful to the OP. It is only recommended to use something like that if the filters have been determined to be present.

Lastly, there are ways to determine which channel is the correct one. You are right in that they will just be reinstalled upon reboot, but I just don't see how it's necessary - it's like using a hammer to push in a thumbtack.

Cheers

Troy

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Let's leave it at that - difference of opinions. I'm not gonna argue any further.