Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Everythings super small

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I was having some big problems with my computer so ended up reformating the whole thing and starting over. Everything looked normal as it was booting up for the first time but when it finally settled on the desktop everything is super small. The background looks normal but the icons, text and windows come up small. I found what looked like the same problem on this forum it said to set the screen res. to 1280x 768 when I did this the icon were the right size but were fuzzy looking and half off the screen. Any ideas on how to get this back to the normal default mode? Thanks

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
A work around is to right click the desktop, click on properties, click the Appearance tab, click on the effects button, and put a check mark in "Use Large Icons", click Apply, and OK. Large Fonts are at 125% of the normal font size. You may have to restart Windows for the change to take effect.

To increase the text size, hold the ctrl key down and use the scroll wheel on your mouse to increase the font size. Hold down CTRL key and tap the + or - keys( on the number pad) to do the same thing if you have a mouse with no wheel.

If that does not work, then:

Click "Start", click "Run...", type "regedit", and click "OK". Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics

In the right-hand pane, you will see a value called Shell Icon Size. The default data for this value is 32. If you see a value called Shell Small Icon Size, make sure it's data is set to 16. Also, make sure the value Shell Icon BPP is set to 16.