Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Spybot Search & Destroys Teatimer

• Please log in to reply

andy75

andy75

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi,
Hope somebody can help as google dosen't seem to helpful this time :)
I updated Spybot from inside the program itself a couple of weeks ago, but whenever I shut my PC down (Win XP SP2) I got a dialogue box telling me its attempting to close "TeaTimer" now TeaTimer dosen't appear on the taskbar anymore and it isn't on the add/remove programs list either, I never had a problem with it till I updated then uninstalled S&D coz of that, what I want is TeaTimer off my system then download and install the latest version of S&D with TeaTimer as I found it useful, can somebody please help???? Thanks for any help

Advertisements

andy75

andy75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
sorry I forgot to add that I still get the dialogue box now with Search and Destroy uninstalled, was going to delete the folder with it in but thought better of it

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Spybot's TeaTimer often causes problems. Disable it.
IMHO, Spybot itself is a tool of the past, anyway.

andy75

andy75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I can't disable it, thats the problem and I want it off my PC without doin a mass restore (not used PC for ages) dur to family bereavment

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
It's not listed in Add\Remove?

andy75

andy75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Sorry for the late reply, no its not in add/remove programs or revo uninstaller and just checked msconfig startup tab and it isn't there either so can't disable it, it dosen't seem to cause any problems but it is very annoying

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Get AutoRuns: http://technet.micro...s/bb963902.aspx, and look under "Logon" tab.

andy75

andy75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I downloaded that and it looks like a very useful tool to keep for the future but neither teatimer or spybot itself was in the logon tab but I think I MIGHT have sorted it out not, not sure though, I looked through the Spybot help site and found a short article about totally uninstalling Spybot and it had a little registry fix to download and execute which I did, when I shut the PC down and restarted all seemed ok apart from 2 small problems,

1, Spywarebegone said it found 1 spy on my system (CWS) which it never said before and when I ran CWSHREDDER it said my system was clean, not sure whether to add this CWS to spywarebegones ignore list or let it clean it, I can't see the full keystring its saying its located in in the registry as I can't expand Spwarebegones window

2, There are still keys in the registry from safer networking and spybot, wondering wether its safe to delete them manually as I've never done it before

Anyway i'd like to say thanks for the help so far and if you could advise me on the above i'd really appreciate it,

Thanks again :)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
In both cases, backup your registry, and:
1. Let Spywarebegone to do its cleaning.
2. Remove spybot entries.

andy75

andy75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Didn't need to backup registry as Spywarebegone created a restore point for me but i'm convinced that was a false positive and unsure what its deleted but I let it clean it anyway then deleted the references to "safer networking" and "Spybot" in the registry, with a bit of luck all is ok now, it certainly seems it :) thanks again for the replys

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Cool :)