Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Update

• Please log in to reply

mrblue

mrblue

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Hi there

I have a Sony Viao laptop, running XP with Service Pack 2. About 6 weeks ago I got a little yellow icon in my system tray saying that new updates were available, and to click to install the updates. I've installed them about a dozen times, and the yellow icon keeps coming back to install the same updates. So now I ignore it.

How can I install the updates so that my laptop recognises that they've been done?

Cheers

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Are all of those updates listed in Add\Remove as successfully installed?

mrblue

mrblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Are all of those updates listed in Add\Remove as successfully installed?

No. I just checked and one of the updates is Windows Service Pack 3. This is NOT listed in my Add/Remove programs.
Service Pack 3 is probably quite important, and I need to install it really!!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
SP3 is not really THAT important, but what about other updates? How many of them are not installed?

mrblue

mrblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

SP3 is not really THAT important, but what about other updates? How many of them are not installed?

None of the updates are installed!!

mrblue

mrblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
I'm doing it again right now. When I hover the cursor over the yellow symbol in the system tray, it says it has done 33% so far.

mrblue

mrblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Typical!! Now it seems to have worked. The yellow icon has gone, and the updates appear in my add/remove programs list. The only one it didn't do was Service Pack 3, because I unplugged the mains cable just as it was doing it, and it displayed an error message saying that the mains cable needs to be plugged in.

Anyway, they're all there apart from SP3. I think it could have something to do with my firewall settings, because this time I made sure I sat through and "allowed" every single block attempt during the installation, (although I thought I did that before).

Anyway, thanks for your help!

Regards

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Good news :)

because I unplugged the mains cable just as it was doing it

Not a good idea.