Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question about motherboard

• Please log in to reply

charge06

charge06

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
im building my new computer tomorrow, thats when i finaly get my new mobo. Its A ASUS P5Q LGA775 socket.

I was wondering if i would have to update Bios to get an Intel core2duo E8400 to work in it. i went to ASUS's website and it says this

LGA775 Intel® Core™2 Processor Ready
This motherboard supports the latest Intel® Core™2 processors in LGA775 package. It also can support Intel® 45nm Multi-Core CPU. With new Intel® Core™ microarchitecture technology and 1600/1333/1066/800MHz FSB, Intel® Core™2 processor is one of the most powerful and energy efficient CPU in the world.

So im guessing that i shouldn't have to update it, i just want to double check

thanks

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Shouldn't have to but you can if you want, I would try it if it doesn't work update the Bios if it still doesn't work then its nothing to do with the Bios

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Look at the CPU support list for this board on the Asus site.
Many Asus boards do not POST at all if they see a processor they can't talk to, therefore a flash may be the only option available if the board doesn't see an 8400 already.

charge06

charge06

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Good new i didnt have to, Got my new computer running. Its awesome. The 1st mobo was doa.