Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virus Alert in Taskbar next to time which is now in military time.

• Please log in to reply

geelex

geelex

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Please help :)

I recently updated my dad's computer with a seemingly normal XP Service Pack 3 update and ever since there is a VIRUS ALERT! next to the time in the task bar. I don't know the type of the virus, but it seems that in my Start Menu, I am missing many files. I can not access my programs from the start menu. I am also missing run, search, my computer and control panel in my start menu. When I access My Computer through the recycling bin, my c and d drives are missing. I keep getting pop ups about virus protectors and alerts. My internet is also very slow. I ran a virus scan with AVG and had many threats but upon trying to remove them they said that it may cause the OS to not function properly so I chose ignore instead. They were related to the Win32/Agent virus or something like that. I have tried everything I know. Thank you in advance for your help.

-G

Edited by geelex, 21 September 2008 - 08:00 PM.

Advertisements

Student101

Student101

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Hello, and welcome to Geeks To Go.
I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

geelex

geelex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thank you I will be moving my topic to that area.

roonie

roonie

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I cannot remove the virus, I have VIRUS ALERT! next to the time which is also military time. I unzipped a program and have had this virus since. I have tried multiple virus scans and none will pick it up. i read about smitfraudfix here and did a scan and here is my rapport.

Follow Student101's instructions