Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop acting very weirdly after install of photoshop trial

• Please log in to reply

Milshaw

Milshaw

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Good afternoon

About this time last week, a well known internet company asked me to do a freelance project them, for which I needed Adobe Photoshop, a pretty simply, but time consuming, tedious task.

I went to download the 30 day full trial version and immediately wished I hadn't, for straightaway this laptop started to act up most weirdly.

Frequent crashes, errors all over the place, so much so that now my head cannot keep up with it all, what on earth is going on - so I would appreciate if someone would kindly assist me please, to get this system back up to speed again and running as perfectly as possible.

I definitely need sound as I create a great number of advertising videos and presently I've got no sound at all.

If you can assist me, this really would be greatly appreciated.

In the meantime, I'll get an HJT logfile, just give me the word, and I'll post it up for you if required to do so.

Many thanks, I appreciate in advance your time and assistance.

Kindest regards and best wishes.

Mr Milshaw

PS - XP Pro

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
first...uninstall Photoshop...
then do a system restore...go back prior to installing Photoshop

Milshaw

Milshaw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Done, what next?

Milshaw

Milshaw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok well I'm still getting error messages galore, still no sound at all either which I need most urgently.

I've tried opening up the Device Manager, no joy with that, get the error message/s MMC.EXE some sort of problem and The Application Failed To Initialize Properly 0xc0000005

???

Under Volume Control I'm getting: There Are No Active Mixer Devices Available. To Install Mixer Devices Go To Control Panel , Click Printers & Other Hardware & Then Click Add Hardware, which I think just returns another MMC.exe error.

My head is just spinning with trying to find a solution to these problems myself.

Also a lot of Microsoft .NET passport error messages, quite a few of these when I boot up.

Somebody please help as soon as you possibly can.

Many thanks!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
give us your system specs...make and model of your computer...

Milshaw

Milshaw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

give us your system specs...make and model of your computer...

Asus X50Rseries

CPU: Duo T2130

Display: 15.4" WXGA

ODD: DVD Sup.MTI.

HD: 120GB

Memory: 1024MB

Graphics: ATI Radeon Express 1100

Milshaw

Milshaw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Known Errors:

MMC.exe - The Application Failed To Initialize Properly 0xc0000005

Volume Control: There Are No Active Mixer Devices Available. To Install Mixer Devices, Go To Control Panel, Click Printers And Other Hardware And Then Click Add Hardware. (I cant access this or do this at all, the system just won't allow me)

ACU.exe Application Error - The Application Failed To Initialize Properly 0xc0000005
AVGNT.exe (ditto) 0xc000001d (No AVG on this system, that was uninstalled ages ago)
MICROSOFT.NET FRAMEWORK - Invalid access to memory location (Exception From HRESULT: 0x800703e6)

The above 3 errors I get on startup on my desktop after rebooting which can take about 45 minutes to one hour to do so on average.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here and get your audio drivers...
thats for the sound...
before that...
a couple of things you can try ..Chkdsk and also lets see if the drive reverted from DMA to PIO mode
Right click on my computer...then properties..

Click on the ...Hardware tab then the ...Device Manager... click the + beside IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers .... right click on each Primary and Secondary IDE channel choose ...Properties... click...Advanced Settings... tab. and list what you find as the Current Transfer Mode. for each device listed for each channel...
if any are in PIO mode...
EXAMPLE ..the Primary IDE channel shows its in PIO mode

Right click on the Primary IDE channel and choose ...Uninstall.......Accept the change...then reboot let Windows reinstall the channel and the devices assigned to it ...IMPORTANT.. then reboot again

Should the channel go back to the PIO setting again in the future it indicates a problem with your hard drive. You must keep your backups current ... I highly recommend keeping FREQUENT backups anyway...just in case your hard drive fails....

Using Chkdsk

Chkdsk is a utility designed to check the integrity of the data on a computer's hard disk drive as well as find and fix errors which could corrupt such data.

Running chkdsk on your Windows XP or 2000 system can repair minor Windows problems

There are several different methods that can be used to run chkdsk
start with this one.....

1. Click the Start button then... Run
2. In the Run window's Open box... type in ... cmd
3. Click OK and an MS-DOS-style black screen will appear in a new window
4. Run chkdsk by typing one of the the following commands where the cursor is blinking...
chkdsk /r and then press ...ENTER...

typing chkdsk c... /f /r will both fix errors and recover lost data. Running chkdsk with both the /f and /r options can often take a considerable amount of time depending upon the size of your hard drive and the amount of data stored on it

5. With either command, a message will appear that says...chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? <y/n>"
6. Type y (for "yes") and then press ...ENTER...
7. A message will appear that will say...This volume will be checked the next time the system restarts
8. Type exit and then press ...ENTER...
9. Reboot the computer as you normally would and chkdsk will automatically begin running after your reboot... While chkdsk is running you will see a light blue window with a dark blue band at the top and bottom. Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage.
You cannot do anything else on your computer while chkdsk is running. When chkdsk is finished, it will automatically reboot your computer....
NOTE
THERE ARE 5 STAGES...
it may even back up at times and go over the same part again...let it run even if it "sticks" at a percentage of completion and appears to hang...DO NOT TURN OFF THE COMPUTER while chkdsk is running or you will have problems...this can take a long time on huge hard drives

Edited by happyrock, 23 September 2008 - 04:40 AM.

Milshaw

Milshaw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok, I only got as far as your second paragraph, here:

Click on the ...Hardware tab then the ...Device Manager... click the + beside IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers ...

When I clicked on Device Manager, I got this message, which stopped me from progressing any further:

mmc.exe - Application Error
The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005) - Click on OK to terminate the application.

The text has also now slowed down to a crawl, writing any words here, just about to do another reboot, to hopefully speed it up.

Will require new instructions please to get around this mmc.exe error message to carry out your above guidance notes.

I appreciate your time taken out to help and assist me - many thanks!

Milshaw

Milshaw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok, it rebooted fairly quickly and typing is now back to normal. Only other difference is some taskbar icons have shifted from the right hand side to the left hand side, never seen that happen before.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you run chkdsk yet...if so what did the report say...

you need to run sfc /scannow...
if you don't have a xp cd you will have to borrow one from a friend or coworker...
it has to be the same flavor of xp you have installed...IE: if you have xp pro...the one you borrow has to be xp pro

How to use Scannow sfc...

The reason for using this utility is when you suspect there may be a problem with a Windows XP system file.

Perhaps you get a dialog box appear informing you of a problem with a .dll file, or your program will just not load! It is therefore worth checking to see if there are any corrupt system files using scannow sfc.

To do this click on start...run...then type in...sfc /scannow

This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem.

Edited by happyrock, 23 September 2008 - 11:04 AM.

Milshaw

Milshaw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Re: did you run chkdsk yet...if so what did the report say...

I have run the first chkdsk that you asked me to start:

1. Click the Start button then... Run
2. In the Run window's Open box... type in ... cmd
3. Click OK and an MS-DOS-style black screen will appear in a new window
4. Run chkdsk by typing one of the the following commands where the cursor is blinking...
chkdsk /r and then press ...ENTER...

This next line confused me typing chkdsk c... /f /r will both fix errors and recover lost data. Running chkdsk with both the /f and /r options can often take a considerable amount of time depending upon the size of your hard drive and the amount of data stored on it

Do you want be to run the chkdsk 3 times in total, is that what you are saying?

Could you just tell me what to do just one step at a time please to avoid any confusion?

The laptop, at the end of the last chkdsk i.e. chkdsk /r rebooted itself, but there is/was no sign of any report to give you any findings. (?)

Do you now want me to run the other two chkdsk checks or do you want me to proceed straight on to the sfc / scannow, btw I have no access to the disc that you require, is there another way around this?

Also the laptop is now running more slowly than ever.

I await your further instructions, hopefully if you do not mind, just one step at a time, if you would be so kind.

Many thanks.

Milshaw

Milshaw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
If there is no further assistance being offered, could someone let me know please?

I know you guys must be busy, but if there is over 24 hours between each reply, then I may as well save you time by saying straightaway, that I cannot wait that long, hence freeing your time up to work on other peoples problems experienced.

Just that being left hanging here, one just gets the feeling that this problem has just been forgotten about.

If it helps, I can go elsewhere if you guys know in advance that you cannot help with this problem, I'd just rather know that's all.

Edited by Milshaw, 24 September 2008 - 04:07 PM.

Milshaw

Milshaw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
This thread can be closed, I've sorted out the problems by myself, I'm back to normal now.

Many thanks for your time and your assistance!