Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DNS Server Error

• Please log in to reply

Maxmw22

Maxmw22

• Pip
  • 1 posts
OK before I start I like to think I know a little bit about computers, but in the computing world I am a noob and still get confused on some things. I have done some minor programming but who hasn't, but my latest problem stumps me and my fellow Comp Sci graduate friend. Ok here is the problem

I use 3 different Browsers IE (sparingly), Firefox, and Chrome

Now at home I get internet through my cable company and at work we have Verizon DSL.

Problem is this, when I am at home, I try to navigate to certain websites and I get a DNS Error. Now at first I figured it was the wireless router at home (linksys). So I went around and looked around and thought maybe it was my security settings, messed around, but no good. So I checked my browser settings, was my proxy settings too strict yadda yadda no dice. So what I did then was what I should of done in the first place, check both of my roommates computers. the one hard lined into the modem was able to navigate to those previous websites I could not access, and I checked my other roommates laptop and she too infact could also navigate there. My synopsis.....the problem is with my computer...and not my router.

I go to work and get on the DSL. No problem at all. Now if the problem is with my computer, how can I navigate to websites on DSL at work, but as soon as I go home I cannot? I connect through both on a wireless signal. I consider maybe someone has some malware on my computer possibly and they did something to my registry, but I am hesitant to acquire any kind of registry cleaner, I have had my fair share of viruses. I read that you should try pinging your websites you can't go to through your DOS prompt to see if the IP's being sent back are different on 2 computers, that someone did in fact mess with my registry, problem is I can't even ping the websites because it gives me the same kind of error on the prompt, that they cannot find the website.

Only one actually registered the the IP, it sent 32 bytes but after 4 times, every attempt was timed out.

If someone can point me in the right direction or offer any advice short of reformatting? This is the first time I have had a computer problem that I (or any of my friends) could not fix. I am just worried that it is some kind of malware and with some forms of Java certian ones have, implementing key logging software and such, I am a bit worried.

Thanks in advance

BTW my OS is XP Media Center if that somehow helps.

Edited by Maxmw22, 22 September 2008 - 01:41 PM.

Advertisements