Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need an advice to buy the most powerful laptop

• Please log in to reply

brady1988

brady1988

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Hey there guys im brady and im ready to buy the most powerful laptop for my own use, i have 4000$ ready to spend on the best laptop for games and for anything.

Now what i would like to know is how to build the best laptop ever for me , lets say i wanna buy this laptop :

http://www.alienware...ode=SKU-DEFAULT

now, u can cuztomize it and add as many parts as u want for ur laptop , so i need to know how to select the best part, how much will be the price, if there is another laptop better than this where can i buy or how can i spend 4000 $ intelligently and get the best laptop ever .

So if there is someone who has something good to tell me , some good advice i will be so thankful for ever, i will really love ur advice and tips to buy the best laptop ever , thank u in advance and please be specific in ur advice so i can take a look at whatever u have wrote on this thread.

Thank u ! :)

Advertisements

brady1988

brady1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
anyone ..... thx

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Dude, you can get a pretty sweet laptop for $4000! I'll throw in a pitch for the brand of laptops that I sell....The brand is Spartan, and you can view their website here. I bought one for myself earlier this summer, and I love it! I didn't go for a super computer, (specs in my sig) but it does what I need it to do. They have some pretty sweet systems, tho I don't know if they go as powerful as you're looking for. Just a suggestion. Also, they're located in Massachusetts. This is great for me, because I get fast shipping. Their tech support is also in Mass, not India :)

brady1988

brady1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
well if u thing the laptop that u just bought is much better than Alienware well u are totally wrong and yes i can buy a [bleep]ing good damm laptop tho, so dont tell me that :) so thank u for ur advice and cya later . ill hope someone else who really knows about laptop for heavy games.

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Is there a specific reason why you want to go with a laptop instead of a desktop? It doesn't matter how much money you spend on it as it'll be obsolete in a couple of years and upgrading is very limited (can't upgrade the CPU or video card).

Anyway, to answer your question, I'd say pick between the Alienware Area-51 m17x, Dell XPS M1730 or the Sager NP9262.

If you want looks, then go with Alienware, here's the specifications for $4,424.00
Graphics Card: Dual 512MB NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 9800M GT – SLI Enabled
Display: 17" WideUXGA 1920 x 1200 LCD (1200p) with Clearview Technology – Black
Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T9500 2.6GHz (6MB Cache 800MHz FSB)
RAM: 4GB† Dual Channel DDR2 SO-DIMM at 667MHz – 2 x 2048MB
OS: Windows Vista® Ultimate with Service Pack 1 (You can save $100 by going with Home Premium)
Hard Drive: 320GB 7,200RPM (16MB Cache)
DVD-Drive: 8x Dual Layer Burner (DVD±RW, CD-RW)
Warranty: Comes with 1 year warranty from Alienware
This is out of your budget but I wanted it to have the same specs as the Dell which is below.

If you want performance (not much on look) and to save some money, go with the Dell XPS M1730. It is $3349.00
Graphics: NVIDIA® SLI™ Dual GeForce® 8800M GTX with 1GB GDDR3 Memory
Display: 17 inch UltraSharp TrueLife Wide-screen WUXGA
Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T9500 (2.6GHz/800Mhz FSB/6MB cache)
RAM: 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
OS: Genuine Windows Vista® Ultimate Edition SP1 (save $150 and go with Home Premium)
Hard Drive: 320GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) with Free Fall Sensor
DVD-Drive: 8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
Warranty: 1 Yr Limited Warranty with 1 Yr NBD Onsite Service and 1 Yr Tech Support

Both the laptops has the same specifications but different prices (the graphics card performs the same but just different name). So you're only paying for the look on the Alienware so I suggest you go with the XPS M1730.

There's another laptop that performs better than the two, however I'm not familiar with the manufacturer or the place where you can buy it.

Sager NP9262 is practically a desktop (they use desktop components such as the processor) so you might experience quite a bit of overheating and also battery life won't be as long compared to the other two laptops above.
I found this in PowerNotebooks.
Here's the specs I made:
Posted Image

This beats the two laptops above as it has Quad Core CPU (its a desktop CPU that they use) and the graphics card performs better than the two above. The price would be around $4000 if you want to upgrade to a 320GB hard drive and Vista Ultimate.

Kamille

brady1988

brady1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
so u are actually telling me that a CPU its so much better than a Laptop because i can upgrate it like changin the video card for another or adding more memory stuff like that. Well is that is the point i will be agree with u and ask u for a good CPU Alienware or whatever mark
i would like to buy a good CPU which i will able to upgrade like every year for example lets say i have a CPU from Alienware and its been almost 2 years and there is a game that requirets a good system, video card, processor, ect. therefore this CPU will let me upgrade with that stuff.... Is this is the way how it works , u know what I'LL BUY IT ! right away ... just tell me the best in the market i will really appreciate man ! Thank u in advance and have a great day.

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
I didn't quite understand what you posted but if you're saying CPU = desktop, then yeah, go with a desktop computer so that if a new game is released (in like a few years) and your computer is not up to the task, having a desktop computer will be better so that you can upgrade some of your components. However, if I'm going to suggest something, you'll have to build the computer. Do you have any experience in building computers? Or is pre-built computer your only option? Do you have friends that can help you build? $4000 is a lot of money and you can get a nice set-up with that.

Granz00

Granz00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Yeah, you could probably build an equally, or more powerful desktop for just $1,000. Then you could spend another $1,000 on a good screen and surround sound system, and still have $2,000 left to mess around with. The laptop may have the advantage of portability, but it is very limited for gaming compared to a desktop.

=OSS*ROID=

=OSS*ROID=

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
My friend go the AlienWare Area-51 m17x and its a dream!! It cost him $3999 so you get to save 1 dollar! :) Check it out. Cheers :)

brady1988

brady1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Yeah guys as i say i have no probem to spend money , i just to know one if i buy a computer i will be able to upgrade it as well but if i buy a laptop i just gonna be abe to upgrade some parts of it , so comparing those two options which one will be the best option for me ... and well i dont have experience building computers or components so far , but i have a friend of mine ... butu the big question is what components should i buy to build my computer with the bes performance for games and other stuff.
I will appreciate ur opinion and good advice for this thread, Thank u guys and have a great day.

Note:
If u gonna tell me which components should i buy or which laptop or computer dont forget to tell me where can i get it and how.

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

well if u thing the laptop that u just bought is much better than Alienware well u are totally wrong and yes i can buy a [bleep]ing good damm laptop tho, so dont tell me that :) so thank u for ur advice and cya later . ill hope someone else who really knows about laptop for heavy games.

I didn't say that. I said that the laptop I bought is perfect for what I need it to do. And since I don't do heavy gaming, it's fine for just about everything else.

Shuh

Shuh

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
for 4k $$$ you can get a freaking beast computer... if its desktop
laptop is only if you really move alot. if not DONT BUY ONE.
desktop is betetr for working/gaming/etc
plus playing games on a laptop sucks... i really cant stand it. its 2 small and controls are bad

just a note: CPU = computer processing unit

for a comp u need a

cpu
motherboard
graphiccard(1 or more)
harddrives(1 or more)
burner(to read cd/dvds and burn them.. 1 or more)
powersupply
case

than theres the crseen
keyboard
mouse
sound(headphones(has a mic)/speakers)

for the pieces. just scroll one of the MANY gaming computer builds

note: you might want to wait some weeks since its the time of the year where graphic cards and other peices compagnies come with new stuff.

charge06

charge06

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
The best place to get components online to build a PC would be www.newegg.com.

And if you need help, there are many tutorials on how to build one. and just about any1 in this forum would be glad to help you out.

Granz00

Granz00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Case- Antec 1200
MOBO- Asus P5Q3
CPU- Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
GPU- HIS Radeon HD 4850 (2 in Crossfire)
HDD- WD Caviar 640 GB (2 of these)
RAM- Muskin XP 4GB
PSU- SILVERSTONE ZM1200M 1200W
Optical Drive- LG Blu-Ray

Total: $2140 - $60 MIR

Monitor- Samsung T260HD
Sound Card- Creative 7.1 Channel
Speakers- Logitech 5.1

Total: $923 - $70 MIR

That would leave you with about $1000 for other stuff like a good keyboard and mouse, desk, a comfortable chair, and whatever else you can think of. I'm not an expert on computer parts just yet, but I figured I would give you somewhere to start based upon what I might buy with that money.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

just a note: CPU = computer processing unit

That would be central processing unit. :)

Troy