Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trying to install a new video card - GeForce9500GT

• Please log in to reply

snurg

snurg

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi all

Recently I purchased a new Video Card & when installed on my system motherboard it crashes my PC repetitively. It always does this as soon as my Windows desktop appears on monitor and Windows boot-up has fully completed. Then when I try any function whatsoever it crashes instantly, except it auto reboots & does not actually switch off. Also it will not even present me with a chance to upload the new video drivers off the provided CD-ROM disc. When i have tried to run the new driver software via DVD floppy by setup/run it also crashes the system.

The suspect card is a brand new Albatron GeForce9500GT. My PC system specs are: memory 1536MB (1x512, 1x1024) with an Intel D101GGCL motherboard supporting an Intel Pentium D 2.8G 800FSB Dual Core 775 CPU.

Things to note: Minimum system requirements is exceeded by my own PC system including the fact the card only require 350W of system power where i have 450W in my system. I don't know if its a power failure.....

Also in booting up the PC with the new video card in the PCI express slot it activates the unusual PC speaker beeping sounds which i have concluded from via the following forum:

http://www.geekstogo...es-t106845.html

it has been identified as One Long Beep, One Short Beep: Motherboard Problem

and not One Long Beep, Two Short Beeps: Video Problem which is what i would have suspected.

Its also not hot enough in my room for it to be an overheating problem nor do i suspect it is a hard drive problem as I currently have over 500GIG of free memory.

One unusual fact is that when i subsequently removed the new video card from the system my PC still behaved the SAME way as if it was still on the motherboard which i thought highly suspect. My LCD monitor also would not recognize a 'signal' so no VDU either (yes i did replug the monitor into the old integrated video card). After experiencing this B.S. for a few hours i turned off the PC for the night & slept on it. :)

In the morning it did exactly the same thing but on the 4th reboot attempt (without the new video card installed) it actually functioned normal of as close to normal as possible.

I would be most thankful for any help....including advice on returning my new GeForce video card as i have only 7 days to so from the place it was purchased. :)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Send the card back under warranty.