Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installed new RAM - Windows doesn't recognise

• Please log in to reply

Janert

Janert

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm hoping the answer to this is something silly that I've overlooked, but in my searching I haven't found an answer that satisfies me yet.

I have one 512 (DDR PC2100) and one 1GB (DDR PC2700) stick in my Asus K8U-X motherboard. So, I'm below the motherboard max (2048MB) and below Windows (non-Pro) max (3-3.5GB). It's not Dual Channel (confirmed by crucial.com). My Video card is 256MB (I'm not entirely clear on how they interact, but I know that's important).

So, when I check on System Properties, it's only giving me 768MB. What am I missing here? Any help would be great - I'm trying to upgrade my system bit by bit, and this is a bit frustrating. Thanks!

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Which was the stock ram and which is the new ram?

Murray

Janert

Janert

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Neither are really "Stock", but the 512 was first, with the 1GB following. I had the 512 before I had the motherboard, I believe.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi Janert,

Have you tried running just the 1GB stick by itself?

Cheers

Troy

EDIT: You say Windows doesn't recognise, where are you reading it from? What does the BIOS report?

Edited by troy, 22 September 2008 - 06:23 PM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
If you checked crucial.com, you would see your mobo recognizes only PC2700 or PC3200 ram NOT PC2100.

Your video is using 256megs of the 1GB stick which leaves what you are getting. The 512 is wasted and useless in this mobo.

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 22 September 2008 - 06:36 PM.

Janert

Janert

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Troy: I am reading this in System Properties. My BIOS skills are weak, but I will check it out.

My fear was as Murray has described. I thought I had previously run the system with only the 512 installed, but maybe that hasn't been the case. I am going to check the BIOS settings, reboot with no 512 and see what happens. I will let y'all know what I find out. I had hoped, however, that "backwards compatible" referred to the mobo as well as the sticks.

Thanks to both of you - I will report back.

Edited by Janert, 22 September 2008 - 09:01 PM.