Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Couple issues with new laptop

• Please log in to reply

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
So my aunt went out and we got laptops. We both got the same laptop - Gateway m-6862 (see sig for specs) and all was well. I set hers up to be hassle free with Automatic Updates but turned my Auto updates off. Besides that, the only difference is that she has her printer on hers (HP Photosmart) and that mine has Comodo Firewall on it.

So today I restart her computer after installing Avast! on it (have it on mine as well) and when I do, automatic updates kicks in. No problem thus far. After automatic updates does its thing it loads for awhile (gets past the windows bar) and I see the Welcome screen its loading the desktop but after the welcome screen (normally ask for a password but since she doesn't have a password should go right too the desktop) it goes to a black screen for about two minutes. I can see the mouse, move it, I can even access task manager, but the screen is black. After 2 minutes the desktop finally shows up. So I figure that's odd, normally it pops right too the desktop. So I restart and notice the second problem.

A little window pops up about an error with hpqgpc01.exe (assuming one of the few programs that got installed with the printer since thats the only HP thing on the comp). Has an error code 0xc0000005 and below it it says 0x7628be16.

Also once restarted it still takes awhile to get to desktop (though after desktop is finally gotten to everything works fine).

So I'm sort of wondering how I would go about fixing this. I'm usually pretty good at figuring this stuff out but I don't mind some assistance/second opinions from the good members of G2G. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated :)

I mention how mines configured vs hers because mine is working fine.

Edited by Caffiene_Powered, 22 September 2008 - 07:10 PM.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G@G:

What model of printer (HP Photosmart ####)?

Did you check to see if HP even made Vista drivers for this model?

Murray

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Murray

Sry the specific model eludes me, but there must be drivers or the drivers we're using (the ones it came with) are working because there's no issue with the printer. Oddly enough when I visited today and shut down the computer the error message didn't pop up, though the printer hadn't been used during this session.

Any ideas boot up pause?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

Murray

Sry the specific model eludes me, but there must be drivers or the drivers we're using (the ones it came with) are working because there's no issue with the printer. Oddly enough when I visited today and shut down the computer the error message didn't pop up, though the printer hadn't been used during this session.

Any ideas boot up pause?

Ya.. Vista is looking for a driver for the printer that doesn't exist. I really need the model number.

Murray

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Murray

Any ideas boot up pause?

Ya.. Vista is looking for a driver for the printer that doesn't exist. I really need the model number.

Murray

I'm 99% sure that it's the HP Photosmart 4580 seen here

http://www.bestbuy.c...d=1215216328841

The only reason I'm not 100% sure its not this is because I don't have the printer in front of me, however i'm near positive cause it looks exactly the same and all the features are exactly the same. If this isn't the printer then the one I have has the same bezel and case.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Well, if that is the one (don't count on it just because it looks like it), go to THIS PAGE and download the software and drivers. Install them and see if that helps.

You could call your aunt and get the exact model number you know.

Murray

Caffeine_Powered

Caffeine_Powered

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Well, if that is the one (don't count on it just because it looks like it), go to THIS PAGE and download the software and drivers. Install them and see if that helps.

You could call your aunt and get the exact model number you know.

Murray

No I don't mean just by looks, I'm well aware that HP uses very similar bezzles and cases for their printers. I'm almost positive. I could've called her except by the time saw your message it was about 1am my time. I'll double check today and respond if it's not, or if there's a problem.