Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP freezing/BSoD problems

• Please log in to reply

kingoftheworld

kingoftheworld

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My system is fairly stable, but it sometimes decides it has another thought then to work correctly, so will freeze itself (requiring me to press the restart button on the case) or have a BSOD

It can be upto 10 minutes after the computer is on, or it can go a whole day of working fine then decide it doesnt want to.

The memory works fine, and to my knowledge there isnt spyware or malware on here. also the drivers are upto date.

All I can remember of the BSODs are

- One has 8e ending
- One is DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
- One is win2k.sys

Any help would be appreciated as id like to fix these random infrequent freezes.

Advertisements

kingoftheworld

kingoftheworld

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Anyone?

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
It appears you can fix this issue via the Windows Recovery Console found on your windows xp installation disk.

Boot to the cd, run the Recovery Console then copy the files by typing COPY d:\I386\win32k.sys (d: being the letter of your cd driver whichever it may be)
c:\windows\system32\win32k.sys

kingoftheworld

kingoftheworld

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I've fixed the win32k.sys problem, but I now get BSoDs ending in 0x07e as well as a driver_irql_not_less_or_equal

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Try starting recovery console then typing the command chdsk /r (which will scan and repair damaged areas of windows/bad sectors.

winst0n

winst0n

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Your problem sounds similar to mine ...
hopefully a friend will come to my house and help me tomorrow.
do you have suspicious processes?
I've been using a tool called Process Explorer to identify "threads" that sound suspicious.

Please let me now if you have any of the following:
(you can looks at the threads of your processes by right clicking and selecting "properties" in process explorer.

ADVAPI32.dll!CryptVerifySignatureW+0x17
CSRSRV.dll!CsrValidateMessageString+0x179
winsrv.dll!ConServerDLLIntialization+0x35f4
ntdll.dll!RT|QueueWorkItem+0x0283
kernel32.dll!CreateThread+0x22
dhcpcsvc.dll!DhcpRequestOptions+0x54fe
LSASRV.dll!LsapAuOpenSam+0x2057

Every time my computer acts up it seems that I can see services running in multiple instances (maybe because that's the only time I look).
This time it seems the culprit is called svchost.exe.
I think normal windows functions are subject to being set on wild goose chases from time to time.

But I've never seen a .dll! until I started using this Process Explorer thing.

winst0n

winst0n

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
oh yeah I had the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD quite a few times until I decided my lazy games of gaming had been wrenched from my hollow and tormented soul by some teenage smart [bleep] who thought it would be fun to screw up the internet for s**ts & giggles.

So I'm a on a virus hunt!