Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

lag + massive fps drop in cs 1.6

• Please log in to reply

Painton

Painton

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
For the past 3 days during any HL game I play, my computer will randomly drop from 100 fps to 2.5-10 fps. This happens at any time, on any server. So I have not been able to pinpoint the cause. I have spysweeper and avira anti virus, when ran today avira caught one trojan. After deletion, the problem still persists. Any ideas on what the cause is? I have dl'ed new drivers for my 8800gtx. To note, this issue also comes with about a 200-500 ping spike, these problems both happen at EXACTLY the same time, However..out of game..I do not notice this. Any help to fix this issue would be awesome.

to add, this issue just started up, I have had the same parts/config for sometime with no issues.

Edited by Painton, 22 September 2008 - 09:57 PM.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
make sure your steam application and programs are updated. I know steam has recently been updated. Beyond that, you can go into steam and right click hl2 and choose properties. At this point you can go to the files tab. First I would verify game cache. After that I would defrag the game cache files.

Painton

Painton

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I should have mentioned that I had done that as well. Do you think this could be a latency related issue? in the past several days my internet has been less than reliable..could very sudden ping spikes cause fps related issues as well? I am going thru a dlink router from my wireless G adapter.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
try unplugging your internet modem for about 10 min. Also power down your pc and router as well. Then power the modem backup, then the router, and then your pc. Give it about 2-3 min before trying anything. If your internet continues to be unreliable you probably should look at getting your pc checked for malware by our trained staff (instructions to follow). You may also need to contact your ISP.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.