Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Keyboard Failure - Will not work at all. Plz help

• Please log in to reply

PC Problems

PC Problems

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi all,

I am attempting to fix a Toshiba Satellite Notebook 2430

It has complete Keyboard Failure - Will not work at all.

- I have attempted getting drivers for keyboard of the net to reinstall with no success. Also the notebook did not come with any matching documentation or software.

- I have scanned the machine for viruses using kaspersky 2009 with no major issues showing.

- Keys do not work prior to being in windows either ( for setup or boot menu)

Would it be likely to be a hardware failure (keyboard, motherboard) or corrupt or missing driver/software for loading device on boot ?

Any help would be good on this. Thanks in advance

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
most likely a hard ware failure.... though maybe as simple as not plugged in good.

PC Problems

PC Problems

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the input shard.. :)

Something i forgot to post in original post-

In Control panel/Keyboard it is telling me there is a logitech ps/2 keyboard connected? that doesnt sound right to me. Shouldnt it be set to default Onboard Toshiba Satallite keyboard or something similar? i am thinking this could be the issue as the computer thinks there is an external keyboard attached. Laptops arent exactly my area..

Does anyone know how i would set it back to default? there is only a listing for the ps/2 logitech keyboard under control panel/keyboard..?

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
does the keyboard work when in bios? if so then it may be another issue ( including the issue you mentioned ). you could try to load default though not all laptops have that feature.... also look to see if the laptop has a ps/2 port... if it does look to see if there are broken pins stuck inside.... If not you could try plugging in an external and see if it works....

Team Toshiba

Team Toshiba

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Have you yet tried to use an external keyboard to help solve the issue? Most installations of Operating Systems recognize keyboards without drivers no problem - I would probably guess hardware failure also.

PC Problems

PC Problems

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I tried using a ps\2 keyboard but the plug on the laptop is slightly different.. On another forum i was told that the keyboard showing up as logitech ps/2 keyboard is normal? can anyone confirm this?

No i cant get into the bios cause i cant press any keys during boot to get into the bios..

I have pretty much put it down to a failed keyboard, going to try and get a usb board to test if that works..

Thanks for the help/input again :)

PC Problems

PC Problems

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ok so i got a new keyboard and still No bloody good....

PC Problems

PC Problems

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
After 2 restarts the keyboard now works.. :)